Hitachi Ultrastar 2TB 7K3000 - $10 w/Free Shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rain

May 13, 2013
Low-volume eBay account, crazy low price & free shipping, and they're "new" drives? I'd bet this is a classic eBay Triangle Scam. Might not be, but I'm not getting anywhere near it.

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
I bought 4 of them at 30 earlier today. Just bought 5 more. I had plans for the 4, not sure what I will do with the 5 but its hard to argue with the price.

ColPanic

Feb 14, 2016
ATX
The scam
There is one criminal and 3 victims in the scam.

Victim one has their credit card stolen - either physically or electronically. The criminal now uses an ebay account he has either hacked or built up a reputation using cheap purchases. He lists a high value item - usually as an unopened gift. The advert may look very similar to a major online retailers advert for the item.

Victim two is this retailer. The item runs on ebay, the seller answering any questions. At the end, they take payment (which can be PayPal). On receieving the payment they order the item from victim two using victim one's stolen card. They put your name and address as the delivery.

Victim three is you. You receive a brand new item for less than the full retail price. Bargain! Except, of course victim one will find the false payment at the next statement and initiation a chargeback. Victim two, now realises they have sent to a false address and want their goods back. They have your address so they come and get it (or get the police to).

And because it has probably been a little while you have lost out on PayPal protection. And even if you do realise, you got what the seller said and he will have sent via a signed for service so he can prove you got it. So you don't qualify for Buyer Protection.....

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
It looks like they put 1000 up for sale. Someone bought 250 of them even with the 5 unit limit. The paypal transaction is listed as "pending". I guess paypal / eBay are suspicious as well. It should be interesting to see how this plays out.

ColPanic

Feb 14, 2016
ATX
And poof. It's gone. I ordered 3 but I doubt it will go through. Here's the message on the purchase.

We had to remove this listing from the site and you're not required to complete the transaction. If you've already sent payment, the sale should process as normal and you don't have anything to worry about. If you have any questions about delivery, please check tracking or contact your seller. If you run into any trouble along the way eBay is here to help. Please visit the Resolution Center to help resolve any problems you may encounter.

ColPanic

Feb 14, 2016
ATX
I thought $180 for a 960GB toshiba enterprise ssd (from newegg linked here) was too good to be true too but I got 4 of them! I wish I had gotten 10.

Too Good to be true... also the listing is down now