Hitachi HUSSL4010ASS600 100 GB SSD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Just got mine in the lab and it's dutifully soaking in Gigabit+ speeds on my AIO ZFS array during a storage vMotion from my vSAN datastore to an NFS datastore. I am a bit perplexed by this seeing how I have my 10G network 'gutted' currently while I undergo a switch upgrade and my vSphere hosts are on 1GbE currently.

hussl4010ass600-100gb_ssd.png

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Just got mine in the lab and it's dutifully soaking in Gigabit+ speeds on my AIO ZFS array during a storage vMotion from my vSAN datastore to an NFS datastore. I am a bit perplexed by this seeing how I have my 10G network 'gutted' currently while I undergo a switch upgrade and my vSphere hosts are on 1GbE currently.

View attachment 1044
Hi whitely,

I picked up several of these drives and for a novice myself, I am bit perplexed to understand your post?

Are you saying this is a fast drive or slow one?

FYI. When I asked seller if these drives are locked to any particular vendor or server, his reply was:

"These drives do not have any specific firmware on them, so should work with anything."

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Drive seems to be doing every bit of what a s3700 can do and maybe even more. They seem to be in lockstep w/ eachother performance-wise. I'm leveraging it as a ZIL device for one of my ZFS pools that I run VM's on my vSphere infra and it is doing the heavy lifting there quite nicely. No locks/proprietary madness as far as I can tell. I could yank out of ZFS pool as a log device and setup as a single ZFS pool and see what the numbers show there as a ZIL is a unique case in itself and may not show all performance characteristics of the drive.

Reactions: Boddy

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Drive seems to be doing every bit of what a s3700 can do and maybe even more. They seem to be in lockstep w/ eachother performance-wise. I'm leveraging it as a ZIL device for one of my ZFS pools that I run VM's on my vSphere infra and it is doing the heavy lifting there quite nicely. No locks/proprietary madness as far as I can tell. I could yank out of ZFS pool as a log device and setup as a single ZFS pool and see what the numbers show there as a ZIL is a unique case in itself and may not show all performance characteristics of the drive.
Many thanks whitely for your valuable feedback.
Phew, glad the drive worked out well, seems to have been a worthwhile investment.
If you could verify it's a new drive, as advertised. that would be very cool.
Another EBay seller selling 2nd hand drives, says it's ideal for ZIL?ZFS stuff

AERuffy

Dec 12, 2013
Not sure if its worth if, If its comparable equally to a S3700 then it's still too expensive as I can find S3700 x 100GB going for under $100. Just bought 2x with offer accepted for $75 each.

Need more benchmarks

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Not sure if its worth if, If its comparable equally to a S3700 then it's still too expensive as I can find S3700 x 100GB going for under $100. Just bought 2x with offer accepted for $75 each.

Need more benchmarks
Hi AERuffy,
these Hitachi drives were advertised as 'New'.
I'd pay premium for a new drive over a used one.
Hopefully a longer life or warrantee.
Cheers

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Hi AERuffy,
these Hitachi drives were advertised as 'New'.
I'd pay premium for a new drive over a used one.
Hopefully a longer life or warrantee.
Cheers
The drives were brand new so yeah there's that and if you look/compare a brand new s3700 of similar capacity and this one you will see the dramatic pricepoint difference so I guess I need to pull spec sheets to see the major differentiators.

EDIT: SAS ssd v.s. SATA ssd as well.

Tell ya what, I'll trade our my 100Gb Intel DC s3700 versions for 100gb versions of these drives for any takers...Yeah that's what I thought! :-D

Last edited:

AERuffy

Dec 12, 2013
The drives were brand new so yeah there's that and if you look/compare a brand new s3700 of similar capacity and this one you will see the dramatic pricepoint difference so I guess I need to pull spec sheets to see the major differentiators.

EDIT: SAS ssd v.s. SATA ssd as well.

Tell ya what, I'll trade our my 100Gb Intel DC s3700 versions for 100gb versions of these drives for any takers :-D Yeah that's what I thought!
Didn't see the SAS vs SATA. As for the S3700, with such a long write cycle I'm not worried about it being "new"

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Didn't see the SAS vs SATA. As for the S3700, with such a long write cycle I'm not worried about it being "new"
Concur, the s3700 is my 'go-to' drive 9 times out of 10 or more. HET in those rock! Very consistent over the long-haul.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Funny, I've offered him $200 for the 200GB models he has (Various) never accepted. I just need 2 more to finish my 8 array, lol...!! Hard to spend 400$ for 400gb when 600$ gets into NVME speed/capcity and endurance too...

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
Last edited:

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
He's got some stock it looks like, just re-uped 4 more to listing. @T_Minus, yeah I was bummed as well really wanted a 200Gb model but this'll do for my intended purpose.

Reactions: T_Minus

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
He's got some stock it looks like, just re-uped 4 more to listing. @T_Minus, yeah I was bummed as well really wanted a 200Gb model but this'll do for my intended purpose.
I'll add the model to my eBay searches but if you run across a good deal on some 200Gb before I do please let know :D

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Just received and setup my next HUSSL4010 100gb sas ssd and here are some more relevant performance metrics/graphs for analysis/debate/prosperity. This is with me floating a 30GB Plex VM via sVMotion between my vSAN AFA stg and this single HGST sas ssd device over both NFS and iSCSI 10GbE net/infra w/in a VT-d Freenas AIO rig.

Should have noted, on the disk graph the green bar is the write into the HGST sas ssd and the purple read (start on vSAN, sVMotion to freenas nfs or iscsi volume, then back to vSAN)

Network graph is reversed for some possessed reason (purple write, green read during those sVMotions between the two tiers/NAS setups. All 10GbE end to end including phys switch, vSwitch (vDS), vmkernel port, freenas VM vmxnet3 interface)

Enjoy!

Attachments