HighPoint 7540 SSD RAID - slow speed?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022

If both red slots are being used (i.e your gpu + nvme highpoint card) they run at pcie x8 speeds.

Reactions: i386

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
confused. As per HWINFO report, this motherboard has 1 GEN5 and 2 GEN4 PCIEX16 slots. But my motherboard has 2 GEN5 and 1 GEN4 PCIEX16 slots. What gives?
(per manual)
you have a pcie 5.0 x16 that turns into a pcie 5.0 x8 slot when you put something in the other "pcie 5.0 x16" slot
the pcie 4.0 x16 slot is only connected to 4 pcie lanes

Reactions: CyklonDX and mrpasc

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
Nopes, only the top slot is used, occupied by the GPU. Middle one is empty. Bottom one is for the RAID card.
Try connecting your nvme card to middle one for better performance.
No GPU is capable of utilizing performance of gen5 x16 lanes. It will be fine with x8. This should give you significant boost vs what you have right now.

(going through chipset with high-bandwidth/stress device is a bad idea on its own - the passive heatsink can only do so much.)

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
Yes, but this slot is „hard wired“ with just 4 lanes. Seems no way to have more lanes, the other ones of the 20 lanes of the Z790 are hard wired to M.2_2,3,4 and Thunderbolt and I226 LAN and USB and AX210 WLAN.
So you can try the VGA in this G4 Port, but not sure if it delivers 25W or 75W.

FIGURATIVESPEECH

May 17, 2023
Try connecting your nvme card to middle one for better performance.
No GPU is capable of utilizing performance of gen5 x16 lanes. It will be fine with x8. This should give you significant boost vs what you have right now.

(going through chipset with high-bandwidth/stress device is a bad idea on its own - the passive heatsink can only do so much.)
I tried it on all 3 slots. I never got the full speed this card is capable of, but half of that. Precisely half.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
yeah cause this card expect pcie x16. You at the best can only provide x8.
(unless you put your GPU into that chipset slot - tho most likely not supported use case for many motherboard)

Last edited:

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
I tried it on all 3 slots. I never got the full speed this card is capable of, but half of that. Precisely half.
But, when you tried the Highpoint card in the top PCIe slot (closest to CPU), where did you put the GPU card that originally occupied that top slot? (I suspect you put it in the 2nd slot. ??)

IF you want to see full spec performance on the Highpoint card, it NEEDS to be in the top slot; AND, the next/second/middle slot NEEDS to be unoccupied. [ie, x16/x0 layout].

FIGURATIVESPEECH

May 17, 2023
But, when you tried the Highpoint card in the top PCIe slot (closest to CPU), where did you put the GPU card that originally occupied that top slot? (I suspect you put it in the 2nd slot. ??)

IF you want to see full spec performance on the Highpoint card, it NEEDS to be in the top slot; AND, the next/second/middle slot NEEDS to be unoccupied. [ie, x16/x0 layout].
Yes, the GPU was in the middle slot. It's too thick to fit it on the bottom slot which is right next to the fans. I'll see if I can connect the GPU with a pci extension cable.

FIGURATIVESPEECH

May 17, 2023

According to the manual, the bottom pci gen 4 slot is only x4. Is that enough for rtx 4090 at all?

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
You may suffer ~10% of performance in certain cases.
(15-20fps in worst case, but it depends on the game)
It will/would run over chipset so you can expect increased latency.

In ai/mi there may be bigger hit.

ano

Nov 7, 2022
Im kinda intrigued, can you tell us a bit what you use it for? what requires 28GBs vs 14GBs

FIGURATIVESPEECH

May 17, 2023
Im kinda intrigued, can you tell us a bit what you use it for? what requires 28GBs vs 14GBs
Video editing, multiple 8k streams, 100mp raw still images, thousands of them in a sequence (time lapses). I'm a photographer, time lapse artist

Reactions: ano

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
If so and you earn your money from: a proper workstation with enough PCIE for your GPU and your Highpoint card would much more fit than this gaming rig…

broadband

Dec 24, 2020
Try this on Workstation or Server, you will get full speed PCIe Bifurcation with or without PCIe Switch, for my cheapest HomeLab is Dell R630 (Dual Xeon E5-2660 v4)

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
Try this on Workstation or Server, you will get full speed PCIe Bifurcation with or without PCIe Switch, for my cheapest HomeLab is Dell R630 (Dual Xeon E5-2660 v4)
it needs to be at least pcie gen4. R630 don't have it; safe bet would be r650 - but he would need to remove daughter card or raid controller to get full x16 gen4 lane.

(for x16 gen4 lane, his best in servers are supermicro servers, or TR zen3 / epyc platforms.)

Last edited:

broadband

Dec 24, 2020
Oh IC, for PCIe 4.0 you can get the cheaper Epic 7002 + Asrock / Gigabyte / Supermicro or Xeon Scale Gen3...

FIGURATIVESPEECH

May 17, 2023
Ok, so the top slot gen 5 worked. I'm getting full speed on the RAID card, after bios advanced chipset settings were set to default state.

Now I have a different problem, probably not for this forum. The Asus 4090 is massive and won't fit into the bottom slot where PCI gen 4 is. The housing hits the intake fans at the bottom of the case, which is Phanteks NV7. So the GPU is currently connected via PCI extension cable. I'm probably going to need some sort of custom bracket for it. I know I wouldn't have this problem with a server case and motherboard, but it's too late. I need to work with what I got.

Attachments

Reactions: CyklonDX

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
Glad to hear that initial problem seems to be solved.
For the GPU: there are several GPU riser mount solutions out there, would start to check if the manufacturer of your case offers some.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
Ok, so the top slot gen 5 worked. I'm getting full speed on the RAID card, after bios advanced chipset settings were set to default state.

Now I have a different problem, probably not for this forum. The Asus 4090 is massive and won't fit into the bottom slot where PCI gen 4 is. The housing hits the intake fans at the bottom of the case, which is Phanteks NV7. So the GPU is currently connected via PCI extension cable. I'm probably going to need some sort of custom bracket for it. I know I wouldn't have this problem with a server case and motherboard, but it's too late. I need to work with what I got.
you can look at vertical gpu brackets