High Quality 5.25" Bays to 3.5" Hot Swap Cages?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I'm looking for some high quality (lots of models I'm seeing reviews where the bay doors/latches break easily) 5.25" bays to 3.5" hot swap bays. Preferably ones that are all black or I can easily paint. These are going to go in this build so I'm looking for either all black or white (doubtful but I could try and paint them).

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
SATA only?
SAS(2|3)/SATA3?
SATA power or MOLEX or don't care?
3.5 to 5.25 format:
5x3?
4x3?
3x2?
1:1?

all of the above?

I did not realize your build had 5.25" bays in it or are you adding a jbod chassis?

am always a fan of Icy Dock though I did have a release bar break on a caddy once. the SM units look nice especially for 5x3 but I have not used those.

I have a rosewill 4x3 I am thinking about putting in an old CRU jbod 4 bay but its uhmmm CHEAPLY constructed (but it was cheap $$)... definitely see that breaking with a lot of use or if I wasn't careful.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
SATA only?
SAS(2|3)/SATA3?
SATA power or MOLEX or don't care?
3.5 to 5.25 format:
5x3?
4x3?
3x2?
1:1?

all of the above?

I did not realize your build had 5.25" bays in it or are you adding a jbod chassis?

am always a fan of Icy Dock though I did have a release bar break on a caddy once. the SM units look nice especially for 5x3 but I have not used those.

I have a rosewill 4x3 I am thinking about putting in an old CRU jbod 4 bay but its uhmmm CHEAPLY constructed (but it was cheap $$)... definitely see that breaking with a lot of use or if I wasn't careful.

Just need SATA for my 10TB WD Golds. Would prefer SATA power. The CaseLabs SMA8 has 9 x 5.25" bays I could use for hot swap cages.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Looking at this more closely I don't think I'll have space to mount the disks facing the back of the case but instead would need to rotate them so the power/sata connections are facing the motherboard tray. So just picture something like 3 of of something like this stacked on top of each other. I'm guess I'll have to do some kind of mod to attach something like these to my case.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
@IamSpartacus if you are looking at something like that 3bay (non hot swap) you may want to look at the rosewill 4x3 drive cage and norco has a 5x3 drive cage. the Rosewill 4x3 drive cage does fit in 5.25" bays (they're turned sideways in the Rosewill RM chassis). You'd need smooth sides in your 5.25" bays, ie. no shelves per bay. Looks like you may be able to spray fan frame white(?) maybe with black fans behind it? I've not used these and there are comments about trying to mount them in 5.25" bays - some dremel work may be required? I'd definitely read the reviews and see if there are some comments in some of the system building sites.

here's an AMZ rosewill link

here's an AMZ norco link

I've seen both (and knockoffs) on eBay.

(I was researching these bays for a build - went a different direction so did not purchase any).

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
@IamSpartacus if you are looking at something like that 3bay (non hot swap) you may want to look at the rosewill 4x3 drive cage and norco has a 5x3 drive cage. the Rosewill 4x3 drive cage does fit in 5.25" bays (they're turned sideways in the Rosewill RM chassis). You'd need smooth sides in your 5.25" bays, ie. no shelves per bay. Looks like you may be able to spray fan frame white(?) maybe with black fans behind it? I've not used these and there are comments about trying to mount them in 5.25" bays - some dremel work may be required? I'd definitely read the reviews and see if there are some comments in some of the system building sites.

here's an AMZ rosewill link

here's an AMZ norco link

I've seen both (and knockoffs) on eBay.

(I was researching these bays for a build - went a different direction so did not purchase any).

Thanks for the links. However, I'm confused. Wouldn't these still mount so that the drivers are facing the back of my case instead of the motherboard tray?

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
yeah. sorry I was spatially confused - re-reading it I now understand. that's a bit of a challenge - basically you need the drives to point like they would in the 3.5" bays of Fractal design XL or corsair carbide 300r

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
yeah. sorry I was spatially confused - re-reading it I now understand. that's a bit of a challenge - basically you need the drives to point like they would in the 3.5" bays of Fractal design XL or corsair carbide 300r
Exactly. I'm open to modding the case thus attaching them myself and not actually mounting them to my 5.25" bays.