High pitched sound from CPU under load

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
I moved my sever from a SuperMicro Mini Server case to a rack mount case last weekend and ever since then I've been noticing a high pitched sound coming from the CPU (Xeon D-1540) when it's got any kind of load on it. The sound goes away when the CPU is idle.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? It's driving me crazy in that my server is right next to my desk and I can't even sit on my computer for more than a few minutes without getting a headache from this sound.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
You sure it is the cpu? More likely to be the surrounding inductors, sometimes due to lack of adequate power supply.
I'm not sure what it is causing the sound exactly I just know it's in the vacinity of the CPU and only happens when the CPU is under load. PSU is brand new Seasonic 450w gold rated and I can't be anywhere near that capacity with my Xeon D-1540 (45w), 8 HDD's and 2 SSDs.

Previously I was using the PSU my SuperMicro mini-server case came with which was 250w and all I did was add 4 3.5" HDDs to my server along with the new PSU.

Keljian

Sep 9, 2015
Melbourne Australia
I'm not sure what it is causing the sound exactly I just know it's in the vacinity of the CPU and only happens when the CPU is under load. PSU is brand new Seasonic 450w gold rated and I can't be anywhere near that capacity with my Xeon D-1540 (45w), 8 HDD's and 2 SSDs.

Previously I was using the PSU my SuperMicro mini-server case came with which was 250w and all I did was add 4 3.5" HDDs to my server along with the new PSU.
I would say it's the inductors. The only thing you can really do is get smoother power to them, or RMA the board.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
I guess I'll test with a different PSU to see if my new one is defective. I had no issues with this 2 weeks ago because I switched cases/PSUs.

legopc

Nov 2, 2014
The Netherlands
It's about how clean the power is under load. The cleaner it is, the less the issue
Coil whine can happen under any circumstance, it really depends on the specific components, I know people that had a GPU that made a terrible noise and when they replaced they upgraded their memory it went away. A lot of computers actually have coil whine, some more noticeable then others. There is not a whole lot you can do about it, you could try and swap out the PSU but otherwise you could ask Supermicro if they would be willing to take the board back but not a lot of manufacturers do that seeing as the board works.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
I know what coil whine sounds like, that's not what this sounds like. This is more of a high pitched "someone left the tv on but it's a black screen" type of sound. I'm going to change out my PSU and see if that makes any difference. I just don't see why I'd have cleaner power with a 250w bronze rated PSU included with this case than I would with this brand new PSU.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Under power management they list fivr... fully integrated voltage regulators.... the cpu could in fact be whining.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
Doesn't seem to be the PSU or power outlet. I've tried 2 different PSU's and on two different outlets on different circuits with nothing else plugged into them. Still get the same ringing sound when the CPU has any load on it. Just strange to me that that this started as soon as I changed cases. I wonder if the SuperMicro mini-server case was somehow insulating the sound and it's been this way from the beginning.

FQB

Oct 26, 2015
Would it be worth your while to put it back to the original case to see if it makes a difference? That way you'll know if something changed on the mobo itself between the changes.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
Through further investigation I think the culprit turned out to be the stock fan that comes attached to one of the hot swap HDD bays. The bays have two settings for the fans (auto and high). If I keep them on auto one of the fans is creating this ringing sound. If I keep it on high the sound goes away. I could replace the fans but keeping them on high is fine as they aren't very loud that way anyway.

FQB

Oct 26, 2015
Through further investigation I think the culprit turned out to be the stock fan that comes attached to one of the hot swap HDD bays. The bays have two settings for the fans (auto and high). If I keep them on auto one of the fans is creating this ringing sound. If I keep it on high the sound goes away. I could replace the fans but keeping them on high is fine as they aren't very loud that way anyway.
The sound would drive me crazy but then again, if theses are 'tucked' away in a corner, then I guess its fine. But at the very least, you found the issue.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
The sound would drive me crazy but then again, if theses are 'tucked' away in a corner, then I guess its fine. But at the very least, you found the issue.
It is tucked in a corner but unfortunately that corner is right next to my desk where my main PC is so it's definitely an issue. However I think I'm good to go now.