Hi Guys! I'm new here :)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TheGuru

Dec 28, 2022
Hello everyone!

I'm new here. My old home has been shut down (homeservershow.com, run by @davidmccabe), now only available at the Web Archive) and I have nowhere else to be. Is this place a good place to be?

Thanks! ♥

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
I think STH is a great place, but despite the name (serve the HOME), most of the tech discussed here is in the context of home LABs, with networking and custom storage systems in particular, with a strong focus on enterprise-grade hardware. You will notice this in the content of main site articles and reviews.
We have tons and tons of highly knowledgeable and friendly folks. Give it a shot.

TheGuru

Dec 28, 2022
Sounds spot on what I do and find funny to tinkle with .
I’m a techie professionally as well so lots of good stuff here .

Thanks!

Bjorn

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
IMHO...

STH = More enterprise hardware focus, sold at 2 cents on the dollar. People have the software stack for it already figured out. Or have a good idea about it. More graybeards. Many originals like RolloZ170's VRM 255W fixes, not found elsewhere.

Wendell's Level1 = Perhaps more concept and software solution focus. Many more beginner type questions. "I finally bought a domain name, what do I do now?" Gave win-raid a home when they needed a new one.

r/datahoarder = Storage nutjobs. Dual controller active/active with multipath ZFS is barely good enough. Because, not in your house, not your data, and will go away at most inconvenient time.

r/homelab = I'm told moderation is a problem. Answer quality suggests more of a 'chatty' crowd.

Hardwareluxx = Ze Germans who all run their home labs on 10 watts idle, because electricity here has gotten so expletive expensive, your next invoice might knock your socks off.

marcel

Oct 15, 2016
About speaking of electric bills that is why I also looking into mini/micro pc/servers.

I'm a member of these forums for awhile but been never very active. I think I''ll remember the topic poster from the WHS (Windows home server) time. Is that correct?