HGST MUSMM616ASS200 -- Latest Firmware for HGST and HP Versions?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

John T Davis

Nov 19, 2022
Hello,

I have several of these that I bought used, and I want to make sure I flash the firmware on them before deployment to avoid any potential data corruption/stability bugs.

They were all sold as HGST drives; I didn't realize until I got them that several of them are flashed with HP firmware and identify as HP MO1600JEFPC drives, so I either need to find that firmware as well, or figure out how to flash the HGST firmware onto them if possible.

I've spent a few hours googling and not been able to find anything, but then I remembered a thread here where someone tracked down a lot of Samsung firmware and thought I would check to see if anyone had done the same with these HGST drives. I'd also appreciate some advice on cross-flashing(?) the HP ones. Shouldn't the actual hardware be identical?

1700421216183.png

Whaaat

Jan 31, 2020
I've spent a few hours googling and not been able to find anything
It took me 1 minute to google that you need HP hardware to update your drive firmware to the HPD3 revision . Firmware comes in bundle, you will not be able to extract it easily from the package, but you can try.
HP SSDs that are based on Seagate models can be cross-flashed to generic firmware with no hassle at all.

John T Davis

Nov 19, 2022
It took me 1 minute to google that you need HP hardware to update your drive firmware to the HPD3 revision . Firmware comes in bundle, you will not be able to extract it easily from the package, but you can try.
HP SSDs that are based on Seagate models can be cross-flashed to generic firmware with no hassle at all.
Thanks. I'm glad you had better luck with Google than I did.

Are Seagate and HGST interchangeable here? My understanding is that these are HGST drives, as they're identical to the HGST drives I also have in the system.

I'm still not sure where to find the newest HGST firmware...

John T Davis

Nov 19, 2022
Thank you! The changelog unfortunately does not address the issue I'm seeing with these drives--namely spurious warnings/errors on the console when smartd queries their status. I'm hoping it's just an inconvenience/smartctl bug. I'm seeing this behavior both with the HPD1 and HPD2 firmware. I need these to work in TrueNAS, and now I'm ... nervous.

[36687.895038] sd 0:0:1:0: [sdb] tag#116 Add. Sense: Grown defect list not found
[36987.893382] sd 0:0:1:0: [sdb] tag#97 Sense Key : Recovered Error [current]
[36987.901089] sd 0:0:1:0: [sdb] tag#97 Add. Sense: Grown defect list not found
[37287.902935] sd 0:0:1:0: [sdb] tag#100 Sense Key : Recovered Error [current]
[37287.910706] sd 0:0:1:0: [sdb] tag#100 Add. Sense: Grown defect list not found
[37587.907537] sd 0:0:1:0: [sdb] tag#89 Sense Key : Recovered Error [current]
[37587.915244] sd 0:0:1:0: [sdb] tag#89 Add. Sense: Grown defect list not found

@BeTeP I've never used sg_write or any other tool to flash drive firmware that wasn't an OEM application (WD, HGST, etc.). Is there a guide to doing this somewhere?

The same drives direct from HGST (according to the part number labels on the drives themselves) with the HGST firmware does not report these errors.