HGST HUSMR7696BDP3Y1 SN200 not shown

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ISRV

Jul 11, 2015
I got this drive:
HGST HUSMR7696BDP3Y1 SN200 960GB 2.5 inch SSD NVMe

put it into u.2 -> pcie adapter (startech StarTech U.2 To PCIe Adapter For 2.5" NVMe SSD SFF-8639 X4 SSDPE2KE020T7 | eBay )

but after boot to debian (latest 12 one)
i run "nvme list" and there's only boot drive (intel optane 16gb) and no sign of hgst.
same with "fdisk -l"

i'd assume there's something wrong with the adapter or the drive, but actually i can see it in my bios (supermicro x11srm-vf)
under "advanced" -> "nvme configuration" there's only my optane m.2 drive.
the hgst drive is in separate menu "advanced" -> "hgst nvme device configuration"
and looks like i can choose a firmware image (which i don't have of course) and activate it in that menu.
the drive have some image loaded with the name KNGND100

so... what's up?
maybe i need some special tool to activate or format it? i've googled some "HGST Device Manager" but can't find where to download it.
maybe i need some other firmware to install in that bios menu? also no luck in googling any sn200 firmware

or... is this the very specific drive, which will only work in a very specific server? and there's no way to make it work in a supermicro?

Attachments

ISRV

Jul 11, 2015
nvme list -v does show the:
nvme1 SDM00003C311 HUSMR7696BDP3Y1 KNGND100

i also found some "sdmcmd64" and "hdm" (from hdm-core_3.4.0-8.ga_amd64.deb package) tools, but have no clue how to use them...

Attachments

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
try disabling pcie_aspm on your boot
(it doesn't fix the issue, just makes it not report them)

AER = Advanced Error Reporting
This is an issue of potentially bad signaling through your pcie to this card.

slidermike

May 7, 2023
Not sure if you will find yourself in this same purgatory but it does not bode well if this is similar to your situation.

Reading some other threads about the HGST's being vendor locked like SUN Micro.
https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/updating-the-hgst-hdd-ssd-firmware.22381/page-5 (this thread seems helpful)
There is someone in a diff forum offering unlock service for models similar (but not exact same) for a small fee.
hddguru.com
& View topic - Service for remote reflashing/converting SAS HDD/SSD

If it was me, I would try contacting the seller and returning them.

Found this too. ElCoyote shared how to register for the firmware and tools needed to flash his HGST.

Last edited: