HGST 8TB SAS HUH728080AL5200

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

VaultedGopher

Oct 8, 2022
I bought some of these before from a different seller. The first batch I got had a serial number that were 0015* and the second batch were 0017*. The first batch had protection turned on and the second batch did not. The first batch I had to reformat to remove the protection and the use the resize command, the second batch I was able to just run the resize command.

To reformat the drives.
sg_format --format --fmtpinfo=0 /dev/sXX

To resize the drives.
sg_format --resize --count=-1 /dev/sXX
If I've had ---format --fmtpinfo=0 running on a drive for 12 hours, and it's only at 3% complete, does that indicate an issue with the drive, my LSI 9211-8i, something else software related, or perhaps that's just how long it can take sometimes?

Reactions: Samir

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
If I've had ---format --fmtpinfo=0 running on a drive for 12 hours, and it's only at 3% complete, does that indicate an issue with the drive, my LSI 9211-8i, something else software related, or perhaps that's just how long it can take sometimes?
I'd stop the process, reboot the machine and try the command again. 12hrs at 3% for a 8TB drive is too slow and might signal the drive is bad (or has bad sectors).