Help with Supermicro basics

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ERDrPC

Aug 14, 2012
Hi
I'm hoping someone can help with the BASIC stuff. I've built desktop before but never a rackmount server. I'm trying to build an UNRAID server. These are the parts I have:
Case: Supermicro CSE-836BE16-R920B with BPN-SAS2-836EL1
HBA: Hp h220 flashed in IT mode (Aka LSI 9207-8i)
10G SFP+ card: Mellanox CX312A ConnectX-3EN Dual Port 10GB SFP+ MCX312A-XCBT (x2) (x16 slot)
GPU: quadro p2000 (transcoding) (x16 slot)
Drives: data 10TB x 10 WD elements, parity 12TB x2 WD easystore
4kUHD slim drive: LG BU40N
Cache: AOC-SLG3-2M2 for bifurcation of an x8 to x4x4 for dual NVMe 1TB cache. XPG SX8200 1TB x2 (x8 slot)
Processors: xenon e5-2650v3 x2
MotherBoard: X10DRi-T
Ram: Samsung M393A2G40DB0-CPB 16GB PC4 17000 2133P 2Rx4 Dimm
CPU fans: Nocturna
Unraidpro USB drive: Kingston Digital DataTraveler SE9 16GB USB 2.0 (DTSE9H/16GBZET)

I'm struggling with the cabling and what from the case attaches to the motherboard. I've downloaded the instructions for both the case and motherboard and I'm still lost. I can plug in the PCI cards, memory and processors...it's the case cabling to the MB for Fans etc. I've tried to pay server companies/build companies in the GTA (Toronto) area to assemble for me and no one wants the business so it's back on me. Anyone have a step-by-step guide (ideally with pics)?? My current synology is so full that I cannot stream to plex as there is no room for transcoding. Family is starting to get mad that they cannot watch any of our backed up movies.

Sorry for being a Noob

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
Looks good! With the 836 you may have a little chassis board that has a bunch of 4-pin fan headers on it; if not, fans can go directly to the motherboard, pinout should be standard. Will the noise be a problem for you? If you're thinking of swapping in Noctuas for the case fans, bear in mind the density of the 836 means it does still need a hefty airflow.

If your goal is Plex with transcoding, it can be done very cheaply with a low-end filer (e.g., old X9SCM-F or X10SLL-F) plus a TMM/uSFF box with QSV (7th-gen or later for h.265; even Celeron or Pentium). The QSV box runs plex and mounts the media over NFS (gigabit is normally sufficient). QSV transcoding is very power efficient.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
I've downloaded the instructions for both the case and motherboard and I'm still lost.
I'm really puzzled as to what is confusing you.

The main power connections are just like any desktop PC...24 pin for the motherboard, and 8-pin for the CPU. The only difference is that there are 2x CPUs, so 2x 8-pin connectors.

The fans in the case are hot-swap, but have standard 4-pin PWM connections that plug right into the motherboard fan connectors. (FAN2, FAN3, and FANA would be the logical choices with active heatsink fans plugged into FAN1 and FAN5.

There will also be a 20-pin ribbon cable (terminated in a 2x10 plug) at the left side of the chassis that feeds through next to the fans and plugs into the motherboard at JF1 (near the 24-pin power connector). This is for front panel switches and lights. You might need an extension for this, but SuperMicro sells one (CBL-0084L).

There will be a 5-pin cable from the power distributor that plugs into JPI2C, between the 8-pin CPU power connectors. This allows the motherboard to monitor the health of the power supplies. Note that if you plug this in and have both power supplies installed but have only one of them plugged into the wall, the motherboard will scream at you, since it thinks one of the power supplies has failed.

Last edited:
Reactions: i386

ERDrPC

Aug 14, 2012
It was the Ribbon cables. Thanks for the help and explanation. I will tackle again!