Help with OS please

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

daniel1926

Mar 27, 2016
This is an embarrassingly simple question that I am hesitant to even ask:

I recently bought a dual E5-2670 SuperMicro system to take advantage of the increase in threads over my old I7 (which I have since sold on craigslist).

Right now I have a MacBook Air laptop and the server. Somehow I have to get an OS on the server (I am planning on using Windows 10) Since I don't have a windows laptop or system, I am struggling to get a boot drive (USB) working. How do I do this?

So far I have tried using Unetbootin with a windows 10 ISO but it simply does not work.

Any ideas as to what I should try next?

Note that I am looking to put the OS on a supermicro SATADOM drive not the 22 TB of drives in the RAID.

Thanks for the help!

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
this might not be the easiest thing to do but this is what I did because rufus is just awesome.

get virtualbox for your mac
make sure you can pass the usb to the virtualbox vm
install the 90-trial of win10 enterprise in the vm - you'll only be using it for like 30 min
copy your win10 iso to the vm
install rufus Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way
insert the usb drive, locate the iso, create the bootable usb installer and you're done

daniel1926

Mar 27, 2016
this might not be the easiest thing to do but this is what I did because rufus is just awesome.

get virtualbox for your mac
make sure you can pass the usb to the virtualbox vm
install the 90-trial of win10 enterprise in the vm - you'll only be using it for like 30 min
copy your win10 iso to the vm
install rufus Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way
insert the usb drive, locate the iso, create the bootable usb installer and you're done

Thank you for the reply, but this is beyond my abilities.

cperalt1

Feb 23, 2015
Just create a bootable drive using the boot camp helper. I've done this with the Win 10 Enterprise ISO to create a bootable USB drive which I used to install onto several different Dell systems.

Reactions: JorgeAtSalk

daniel1926

Mar 27, 2016
I tried the bootcamp route, but when I do, it says the following (the iso that I am using is windows 10 pro)

Boot Camp only supports Windows 7 or later installation on this platform. Please use an ISO file for Windows 7 or later installation.

cperalt1

Feb 23, 2015
Are you on latest OS X if not which one as you will need to be at least on Yosemite

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I think we might be going at this the wrong way YUMI and unetbootin can both make win10 boot drives(I've used both) did you try booting the flash in a different system

thayerz00r

Mar 27, 2016
Tyler, TX
I tried the bootcamp route, but when I do, it says the following (the iso that I am using is windows 10 pro)

Boot Camp only supports Windows 7 or later installation on this platform. Please use an ISO file for Windows 7 or later installation.
I had this problem on my work computer as well, updating to the latest system software (Yosemite at the time), and trying again solved the problem for me. Also, make sure your removable stick has sufficient capacity to hold the image, I'd shoot for 8 gigs minimum, though 4 should be enough.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I had this problem on my work computer as well, updating to the latest system software (Yosemite at the time), and trying again solved the problem for me. Also, make sure your removable stick has sufficient capacity to hold the image, I'd shoot for 8 gigs minimum, though 4 should be enough.
do they still make 4gb flash drives? I got a 32gb sandisk usb3 on amazon a few weeks ago for 9.99

daniel1926

Mar 27, 2016
See the last photo in this album for the screen that I get when I use unetbootin. I have tried pressing TAB but nothing happens other than the countdown restarting

supermicro server

thayerz00r

Mar 27, 2016
Tyler, TX
See the last photo in this album for the screen that I get when I use unetbootin.
I stopped using unetbootin because of this happening when trying to make Win8 boot disks rather than figuring it out, probably has something to do with GPT partitions rather than MBR... I'm not going to be much help with it... Sorry!

I have used the bash/console way successfully that gigatexal posted though! Give that a whirl.

do they still make 4gb flash drives?
I know right? Folks still give out 256-512mb ones in swag bags... ugh.

daniel1926

Mar 27, 2016
Here is the last thing that I have tried that has not worked.

Plug usb into mac and run the following terminal commands:

daniels-MacBook-Air-3:~ daniel$ diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk2

Unmount of all volumes on disk2 was successful

daniels-MacBook-Air-3:~ daniel$ sudo dd if=/Users/daniel/Desktop/Win10_1511_1_English_x64.iso of=/dev/disk2 bs=1m

Password:

4209+1 records in

4209+1 records out

4414115840 bytes transferred in 2152.309147 secs (2050874 bytes/sec)

daniels-MacBook-Air-3:~ daniel$ diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk2

Unmount of all volumes on disk2 was successful

I then configured setup on the supermicro server to use the usb as the primary boot device.

After that, the system automatically restarted and then entered the intel boot manager whereupon I got the following screen that said that no dchp offers were received.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet <- photo of screen

I've manually checked the USB to make sure that it has all of the files that it is supposed to have, yet it just won't launch windows.

Any ideas?

cperalt1

Feb 23, 2015
It looks like it is trying to network boot. Don't know about the Supermicro settings but somewhere in the BIOS you should be able to select USB as the only boot device.

JorgeAtSalk

May 19, 2015
It looks like it is trying to network boot. Don't know about the Supermicro settings but somewhere in the BIOS you should be able to select USB as the only boot device.
Sometimes you need to boot up once with the USB stick in place to see it in the BIOS boot up section to move it to the first slot. But if there is no OS it should pickup automatically. If not then either USB boot is not activated or the USB stick is not bootable.