Help with CPU/RAM estimates for simple virtual consolidation - Non Critical Home User

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Allan74

May 15, 2019
I have spent the last few weeks kicking the tires on ProxMox and am satisfied with the results and haven't found any limitations that would keep me from moving forward on a new project, that being a bit of consolidation.

I have broken it down to 2 scenarios, with the first being a simple 1U setup that would take care of Networking/Security and Monitoring, with the second being either a 2U or 4U to consolidate the aforementioned Networking/Security/Monitoring, as well as the addition of Compute and Storage Management for the rack.

For simplicity, this is all a glorified Plex Server setup and Internet Firewall w/Content Filtering. Wifi will be taken care of via AP's, so I don't have to account for any of that with this planning - it will take care of itself.

The 1U setup that I have in mind will be a simple installation of the following:
- ProxMox (inc. multi-nic Bridge)
- Opnsense VM (inc. misc addons)
- Adguard or PiHole (Ubuntu Server VM)
- Guacamole (Ubuntu Server VM)

If I decide to consolidate further, the 2U or 4U setup will include the above 1U functions/installations and:
- add Hardware - SAS HW Raid, SAS HBA, Video w/NVENC (Plex transcodes)
- add Win Server VM to above (Current HW Raid Storage Management)
- add Plex Server to Win Server installation.
- add TrueNas VM (incremental ZFS storage conversion from current HW Raid)

What kind of processing power and memory should I be looking at for either the 1U or the 4U scenarios ?
I am not certain that I want to consolidate everything and am leaning to keeping the Networking functions by themselves in a 1U chassis.

Also, all of my current storage is on HW RAID/Windows, but I would like to eventually make the switch to ZFS as I add (or replace) drives and/or arrays. I already have all of the hardware that I need, in regards to the storage switch to ZFS. I am just looking to ballpark the compute/memory requirements that I may need for either the 1U or 2/4U setups. Unfortunately, I am on all old LGA1366/DDR3 boxes. The most powerful chassis I currently have not in use is an old Dual Xeon x5670 12c/24t. I can however muster up to 96GB of RAM for it, but I feel it is still a bit on the underpowered side to use as a complete consolidation VM platform for what I am looking to accomplish if I pass on the simple 1U setup.

Any suggestions on 'comfortable' CPU/Memory requirements for either the 1U or 4U setup would be greatly appreciated.
I would also like to keep things 15A home circuit friendly, so low power CPUs would be best, as I currently have 60w Xeons in my storage boxes.

thanks.
Allan