Help with building OpenNSL for Edge-Core AS5610-52X

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

blue172

Apr 24, 2022
Hi,

I'm trying to get a simple L2 configuration running on the Switch, but maybe anyone here can help me out, cause I nearly tried anything.

Sadly the AS5610-52X isn't supported anymore by Edge-Core themself and Broadcom. So contacting the support ended in "Blah Blah EOL we don't support these models anymore". So I have to build OpenNetworkLinux from here and OpenNSL from here all myself. ONL with the INSTALLED_INSTALLER and SWI file compiled successfully and after installing my previously self-build ONL, the switch booted with the Linux-Kernel v3.16.76. So the only thing now missing are the OpenNSL "Drivers" between the Switch ASIC and ONL and thats where I need some help......

Since the AS5610-52X is a powerpc trident+ arch Model I needed the powerpc-accton_as5610_52x-r0 related files from my build. Importing them worked !

But building OpenNSL from scratch myself won't work with any method mentioned on Github.

I tried one solution from this Issue Ticket: compile modified OpenNSL examples · Issue #46 · Broadcom-Switch/OpenNSL
with CROSS_COMPILE_GTO = powerpc-linux-gnu- but it failed...

Another attempt I tried was this one: Where can I find ONL compatible versions of OpenNSL (AS7712) · Issue #34 · Broadcom-Switch/OpenNSL
with export KERNDIR pointing to the linux-kernel build by ONL
and then cd into OpenNSL-master/sdk-6.5.12-gpl-modules/systems/linux/user/gto-2_6
and run make but it failed also:

Can anyone help me with compiling or provide me the need files to get the switch running ?
After successfully building OpenNSL there should be the *.ko linux driver files and a .deb file like "opennsl-accton_3.5.0.3 accton4.0-2_.deb"

Bene11660

Jan 26, 2019
Hello,
I am also looking into compiling OpenNSL for this Switch, i haven't yet bought the hardware, however.
Do you have all the dependencies for cross compiling PowerPC under Ubuntu? Especially "gcc-powerpc-linux-gnu".
The second picture seems to indicate that this package is missing.
Kind regards
Benedikt

blue172

Apr 24, 2022
Yes ive installed the correct powerpc compiler and exported the CC var with powerpc-linux-gnu-gcc but it also wont build even after finding all needed header (.h) files. There were pointer errors in header files… dont know anything about c so im stuck again. i think i should sell this one, cause it wasted 2 weeks of research already…

Michiyo

Dec 8, 2022
Have you made any progress on this? I recently ended up with this same switch and have tried everything including building ~2016 era copies of the code which still included ORC to try to get a functioning switch with no luck. I just want switching, I don't need any special features :/

Thanks

Last edited:

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
I'd suggest building it in a PowerPC QEMU VM. It'll be slower, but it will be using the native toolchain instead of a cross-compiler. Can help when you're stuck with older or broken cross-compilation toolchains.

Then there's the issue where you seem to be using a 3.x kernel while the module hints at a 2.6.x kernel. Not sure if it is simply an error in the makefile or if it really is stuck on 2.6.

blue172

Apr 24, 2022
Have you made any progress on this? I recently ended up with this same switch and have tried everything including building ~2016 era copies of the code which still included ORC to try to get a functioning switch with no luck. I just want switching, I don't need any special features :/

Thanks
nope. i've sold both of my units. wasted so much time :mad: never again a whitebox switch. i won't buy any switch anymore wich doesn't have a os installed