Help wanted -- building a new gaming/work PC and I am in over my head

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
Did tech just shift into 6th gear when I was blinking? There's seemingly so much tech happening and stuff being released I am a bit overwhelmed.

Here's what I have. A budget: < 750 euros. A gpu: 3060ti that I paid too damn much for on eBay -- $%#ing crypto kids. I was this close, this close, to paying nearly 600 euros for a ASUS ROG 1080ti ... it's insane.

Here's what I am thinking.

I'd like to stay with DDR4 as DDR5 prices are insane. I'd like an itx motherboard but matx would do just fine. I am not beholden to AMD. I had eyed the 5600X but it turns out the 12400 alder lake chip is very nearly 90% or better the performance for about 2/3rds the price! But if I went alder lake are there any good itx/matx motherboards that do ddr4?

main use cases:

75% gaming / 25 % productivity -- I plan to dual boot windows and linux. That reminds me, for alder lake, it's win11 or bust right? Anyone selling a win11 key?

Oh last thing I am located in Berlin Germany.

JediAcolyte

May 29, 2020
US
mATX - Asus Prime Z690M-Plus D4 $286 @ Amazon US
I didn't see any DDR4 ITX boards available. I don't know how availability is in Germany.
Good Luck!

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
As usual, motherboard vendors will race to bring 30+ slightly different motherboards for Intels new socket to market.
Since B650 and H670 were just released a few days ago, it might be one of those rare cases where waiting 2-3 more weeks will change things. Just until all these new "budget" boards hit the shelves.
Right now, ASRock Z690M-ITX/ax seems to be the only option with your preferences. Available at around 230€.
For µATX, there are plenty more options already: Intel Sockel 1700 mit Formfaktor: µATX, Chipsatz: B660/H670/Z690, RAM: 2x DDR4 DIMM/4x DDR4 DIMM Preisvergleich geizhals.eu EU

Edit: since the I5-12400 doesn't have any E-cores, the Win10 scheduler should not have any trouble with it.

Last edited:

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
I did some scope analysis and realised I play 1 game and even then far less than I had anticipated and 1440p high refresh gaming or 4k @ 60hz gaming is just outside of my budget these days. GPU prices are insane and I am upset at the crypto folks for driving up prices.

That said I scaled back my build a ton. And even rethinking the whole thing.

MBastian

Jul 17, 2016
Düsseldorf, Germany
Unless you want to play the newest AAA titles in 4K you can use older hardware without loosing much. I am still a happy camper with my ol' dual E5-2690v2 setup driving an Nvidia RTX 3090 FE I've got from an EU Nvidia drop a few month back. So far, everything I've thrown at it performed excellent in 1440p.

Last edited:

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
Unless you want to play the newest AAA titles in 4K you can use older hardware without loosing much. I am still a happy camper with my ol' dual E5-2690v2 setup driving an Nvidia RTX 3090 FE I've got from an EU Nvidia drop a few month back. So far, everything I've thrown at it performed excellent in 1440p.
Also with a beast card like that you should be at 4K no problem. Are you CPU bound?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I went from an i7 to 3600 and gaming performance was a nice boost! (I run a 2080 TI)
I didn't think upgrading CPU would matter at this point... but I upgraded to a 5900x and let me tell you, wow, it holds high FPS all the time now no more FPS crashes in certain cases, and I wish I had done this sooner. 140fps \ 1440p - I would dip <100fps sometimes and now it's rare I dip to even 120) I don't see how someone can compare a 2690 v2 generation to the newer, and newest AMD or Intel offerings... they clearly don't play demanding games or have 0 experience comparing. The FPS gain videos on youTube prove this wrong too, and you van visually see the difference.

I don't know anything about the new Intels but the 5600x, and 5900x I like :)

But if you don't need it now maybe wait for the next gen (not mid-gen) AMD, that's what I'm hoping to get sometime 2022 when it's released, and then my wife will get this beast of a system :D

Reactions: gigatexal

MBastian

Jul 17, 2016
Düsseldorf, Germany
How do I get in on the drop stuff? I don’t mind being patient. I would love to be able to have a shot at a 3060ti at close to MSRP @MBastian
Everone does. The best (which are still <1%) chances you get with the 3070ti or 3080ti. The profit margin on Ebay, or ebay-kleinanzeigen.de (where all the hobby scalper are selling) isn't that high so most of the big time scalpers shun it. I had luck a few moth back as the scalper prices where low and the especially the 3090 wasn't selling out fast. I decided to bite the bullet, chances are good I do not loose much money when I get rid of it. I am still hoping for an Ampere vGPU driver hack...

Also with a beast card like that you should be at 4K no problem. Are you CPU bound?
Hell, yes. See the post from T_minus. But I do not play online so not care so much as long as the FPS stay well over 30fps.
4K would be wasted on my eyes :D

Reactions: gigatexal

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Everone does. The best (which are still <1%) chances you get with the 3070ti or 3080ti. The profit margin on Ebay, or ebay-kleinanzeigen.de (where all the hobby scalper are selling) isn't that high so most of the big time scalpers shun it. I had luck a few moth back as the scalper prices where low and the especially the 3090 wasn't selling out fast. I decided to bite the bullet, chances are good I do not loose much money when I get rid of it. I am still hoping for an Ampere vGPU driver hack...

Hell, yes. See the post from T_minus. But I do not play online so not care so much as long as the FPS stay well over 30fps.
4K would be wasted on my eyes :D
You sound like me before I upgraded to 144hz IPS a couple years back :) I never saw the point in higher FPS than 60 or higher than 60hz and then I finally upgraded my display and wow, I've been trying to get more fPS (while keeping IPS) since, and that CPU affecting FPS really really amazed me as I didn't see how >6C would do much but it did... Unless I got a better video card ($$$$) it looks like I'll be stuck here for awhile LOL.

MBastian

Jul 17, 2016
Düsseldorf, Germany
You sound like me before I upgraded to 144hz IPS a couple years back :) I never saw the point in higher FPS than 60 or higher than 60hz and then I finally upgraded my display and wow
I do have two Dell S2721DGFA displays on my desk. More than 60fps is nice but the biggest plus for me is G-Sync/Freesync.

Last edited: