Help setting up D Link N6850U for access point.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

koper

May 1, 2024
Hello, I'm not an expert so please be patient and try to explain in plain English. thanks.
I have an old D Link N6850U router that I want to use as an access point (I hope that I'm using the right term) between the main router and two pc's that are located down the hall and the Wi Fi reception in that room is weak. I have an RJ45 wall socket in that room, of course with a cable from the main router.
I would like to set up this D Link router to serve as an access point, so that the pc's and the cellphone will be able to communicate via the Wi Fi and for setting it up I would like to ask for your help and guidance. Thanx.

sic0048

Dec 24, 2018
Some routers have a "WiFi Access Point" mode that turns off all the "routing" functions and allows you to use the device as just an AP with the existance of another router on the network.

If this particular model does not have that, then you need to make sure you turn off the DHCP service so that your network doesn't accidentally have two DHCP servers competing with each other (which will lead to weird and seemingly random networking issues). You'll likely need to assign the device a new IP address because the default IP address might compete with your current router as well.

Outside of that, you should leave the WiFi transmitters turned on with the appropriate WiFi settings that you want. Just plug one of the LAN ports into your current network. You will not use the WAN port when you are using it simply as a WiFi AP.

koper

May 1, 2024
I did that - disabled the DHCP as it can be seen in the attached pic. I've tested it with "speedtest". the download speed was 47Mbs/sec and the upload was 32Mbs/sec. it seems low since the speed provided by my provider is 300Mbs/sec. one more strange thing is that I've got the same results prior to disable the DHCP, when it was still enabled.

Attachments