[Help] My first home server to do a lot of different things!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rtech

Jun 2, 2021
Not on Supermicro chassis you are stuck with proprietary SM PSUs
But you can mod some these cases by removing the steel PSU guide

latot

May 7, 2023
:O and is similar with other ones? or at least, is there screws that we can use?

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
If you get a used enterprise server chassis, it will generally come with the power supplies. If it doesn't, they tend to be very inexpensive on the used market (e.g. PWS-920P-SQ = 920W quiet PSU for $35 used in the US).

For the generic rack chassis types, they tend to use standard ATX or flex-ATX size.

rtech

Jun 2, 2021
Also with 4U supermicro 847 846 they rely on very high RPM and static pressure 80mm fans which is not silent.
To silence them you would need to remove the fanwall completely and put 140mm fans tied with zip ties or other solutions.

latot

May 7, 2023
how funny :3 I would expect something better from supermicro, Now I was able to found a rack in the country of 2.1m x 19'' x 60cm.

I have checked and a lot of rack chassis has more than 60cm of depth, I know I can put out the back of the rack, but is like I'll screw up the possible cooling. There is always alternatives even doing that. what do you think? and says it has a telecommunications standard.

rtech

Jun 2, 2021
IIRC telco racks have different mounting holes and probably thats why they are only 60cm deep...
Servers are like 65cm 69cm... deep

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
Whatever chassis you choose, make sure it has rails available that can mount to such a short depth. Sometimes there's an alternate rail kit for short-depth racks.

latot

May 7, 2023
Hi all! after check this.... I decided to go for a case instead a rack, here is a lot of shared places with other ppl, and will be too annoying for al have a rack.

And racks are too expensive....., maybe in the future.

So, I found where to buy the Meshify, very lucky :)

But there is one point that is annoying me.... as we talked before, there is the CPU orientation, in the image or rtech it shows what happens with a Supermicro mob....

So after checking this video:

And check the Gigabyte MZ32-AR0 rev.1, the right one would be the artic one.

Why I'm confused? I checked 4U rack chassis, and the mashify case, but of them has the out in almost the same places, mashify has more possible outs but with this, when the NH-U14S is right used? in what case it works? I was not able to find one for that model...

rtech

Jun 2, 2021
In Meshify chassis you can use both coolers SP3 arctic or Noctua.
You just have to put exhaust fans up top with Noctua.
If you go with SP3 Arctic it will exhaust to fan in back of case.

That vid is not applicable to FD as its PSU mount is in bottom

You shoudl decide based on where your case will physically be as these exhausts shold not be blocked.

Last edited:

latot

May 7, 2023
Yeah, I used the video and other images to know how is orientated the coolers based on the mobo.

That us why I found it so weird, in rack cases, or normal cases, the noctua fans seems to have a bad orientation, even if is powerful, put a pcie card and can block the air.... so there I get lost, the artic cooler seems great and I keep thinking... where and how the noctua one can be right used? I don't think is good idea use the noctua one without a proper airflow. or I'm missing something.

rtech

Jun 2, 2021
Noctua cooler uses push pull config on its heatsink so you can adjust where the air goes by changing orientation of fan.
Fans on top of the case will act as negative pressure exhaust all hot air will be expelled to top.

Normal orientation of airflow in in case

Rear <<<<<<<<< Front

Meshify alternative top flow

Top ^^^^^^<<<<<< Front

latot

May 7, 2023
That usually would be the case, but with the actual orientation happens this:

The GPU or any big card, can block the air on one of the two sides.

rtech

Jun 2, 2021
That usually would be the case, but with the actual orientation happens this:

The GPU or any big card, can block the air on one of the two sides.
You wont get any blockage because there is gap between PCIe device and case lid...

latot

May 7, 2023
Yeah, but is a small one, that causes to be harder to push the air, and more fast you want the fan, more loss you will have.

latot

May 7, 2023
Hi all, has been, not too much time, I can only get Meshify 2 XL in at least two more months.... is there any other good case recommendation for this build?

Stankyjawnz

Aug 2, 2017
Why don't you figure out what e-atx cases you can get, then research the options. It's not productive for us to suggest cases you can't get

latot

May 7, 2023
@Stankyjawnz I did it, but has been not easy for this build, in particular I have the options to import, and... is not published what cases we can get... or what not....

But there is some brands, Lianli, Fractal, Corsair, Thermaltake and others, sadly to know which ones are available I would need to ask... one by one....

Actually, with cases I feel them can be pretty counter-intuitive, with some minimal aspects the airflow can change a lot, and other cases where I don't get how the airflow works like in Lianli where there is back and top fans, but the usual front fans are in a side, like in the 001 Dynamic.

Thinking this is my first build... and my lack of experience is hard to me know which cases can have the minimum requirements for a build like this...

Now, due the build it self, a 7742 and U.2/NVME, is not like I can lack of good airflow, so if the best case for this is the Mashify 2 XL, I'll wait the 2 months.

I would like, if is easier, some guidelines for it, @rtech already give me someones, and still there is a lot of options and tricky parts:
Get case with front fanwall/rear exhaust + CPU cooler do not rely on passive CPU cooler bigger fans are better but you will also want static pressure

If someone can suggest other cases would be useful too, then I'll try to find or choose based in your help, I appreciate the help :)

Nota: I looked in the list of mobos I can get rn, EATX + front fans, there is no one. So the only option is look on the slow options described above....

latot

May 7, 2023
Hi @Stankyjawnz why? because is hard for a newbie recognize which ones are good, there is so many options!

But I think you are right, is too hard to find with the actual state of the options I have, and is not productive for you just tell a case that I would not be able to get.

So instead I did the next thing... I copy a lot of mobos from a list that I can import, and checked one by one.... features, sizes, and reduce the list to the ones that has a minimum match for the build, now the list is ready, I hope can help me find the best one.

Most of the Lian Li cases was discarded because of the mobo sizes or max size for the CPU cooler.

Note: I checked in the mobo sizes, the gigabyte mobo has 305x330mm (12.001''x13''), is declared as EATX but some mobos with eatx support does not have enough size for it.

LIAN LI Odyssey X

I was not able to found the mobo specific size.
(this is the most expensive one)

I was not able to found how to mount 2.5'' or 3.5'' even in the manual, if is not possible I would discard it.

FRACTAL DESING TORRENT EATX TG

No top airflow, not possible to use the noctua fan but the artic one yes.
The 2.5'' and 3.5'' drives does not have any airflow... using NVME I think is needed, and I found no way to put them in a way the can get it in the manual.
I would discard this one.

BE QUIET! DARK BASE PRO 900 (Rev.2)

I was not able to found the mobo specific size.

Fractal Design Define 7 XL
FRACTAL DESIGN MESHIFY 2 XL

I was truly not been able to get the difference between them, I only found two but not sure if there is more and after checking them, I was not able to found a difference that can tell me which one is better.

Define seems to be more a silent build.
The airflow on Define in the front panel does not comes in directly, which could interfere with airflow performance.

So, this is what I was able to check, how can I choose between that 3 cases?

CPU: Epyc 7742
Motherboard: Gigabyte MZ32-AR0 Rev 1.0 (the rev 3 is for epyc gen 7003)
Ram: 4x64gb RDIMM ECC 3200ECC (Samsung 2RX4 PC4-3200AA-RB4-12-MH1 REG ECC DDR4)
Basic Storage: NVME 2TB

Future (take in consideration):

More NVME (using a NVME to U.2 adapter is like a 2.5'')
More Ram
Double socket build
Other standard of mobo size for servers

Thx!