Help me redo my network please...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
I am by far not a networking guy...

I know I tend to go all over so I will put this at the top so people can know what I am asking early...

Switch Recommendations for 5 current machines to go 10gb with expansion to 8?

Looking at this but reviews don't seem too great (yes on a slight budget)
Tupavco TP1910
10GB SFP+ Switch (8 Port - Unmmanaged) - 10 Gigabit Ethernet at 8 Small Form-Factor Pluggable Slot for Fiber Optic (Optical Cable) Network or LAN (RJ45/CAT6+) Transceiver Devices

or just go with
CRS328-24P-4S+RM | MikroTik
will only do 4 x10gb of my machines and I can live with that.

I am seeing the SFP+ RJ45 adapters are expensive on ebay - $40-$90 each now making the fiber way not too much and making the Microtik not a bad option, still pricey.

if I went MicroTik, I would remove my brocade 48 port and 8 port POE to ReoLink cameras and just use the MicroTik to do 1g, poe cctv and 10gb
and
if I went another switch like Tupavco, yank my brocade still and put my dell 24 port (PowerConnect 2724) switch or HP 24 port (OfficeConnect 1820) switch back in place, keep the poe in place and add that switch. (more hardware, wires, messier so leading me to microtik)

******edited
Cleaned up so much as I had questions about x4 pci-e slot nics, etc... but google lead to reddit and here where people said the intel x520-da2 will run just fine at x4 if only using 1 port...
so couldnt pass these up on ebay...
with 2x sfp+ adapters to which those alone are like $10-$14 each!!!!

IBM 49Y7962 Intel X520-DA2 2-Port 10Gb SFP Server Adapter W/ SFP High Profile | eBay

Last edited:

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1709735-REG/owc_owcpcie10gb_10g_ethernet_pcie_network.html $100 X1

Only caveat is Gen4 slot but, you can still get plenty of speed on Gen3 8gbps.

To get an better slim down you need a port count of devices you have and requirements though.

Also, consider tiering the 10GE into a single switch for peering data transfers at that speed and then uplink to a slower switch for other device access. So, get a 6-8 port 10GE for your core devices and then you can trunk 2+ ports for higher bandwidth to a lower end switch.

Reactions: TeleFragger

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1709735-REG/owc_owcpcie10gb_10g_ethernet_pcie_network.html $100 X1

Only caveat is Gen4 slot but, you can still get plenty of speed on Gen3 8gbps.

To get an better slim down you need a port count of devices you have and requirements though.

Also, consider tiering the 10GE into a single switch for peering data transfers at that speed and then uplink to a slower switch for other device access. So, get a 6-8 port 10GE for your core devices and then you can trunk 2+ ports for higher bandwidth to a lower end switch.
yeah i thought microtik... i can remove my 8 poe switch, connect 4x 10gb fiber leaving me to connect to one of my 24 port switches or 48 port...so i got plenty of ports...

Last edited: