Help me pick parts for a new computer

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
The 5950X looks amazing! Going to await what RDNA2 does though. (and impatiently awaiting the Crosshair VIII Dark Hero release)

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I love how ASSUS doesn't want to take my hard earned €500 for a C8DH by not giving a release date, god damn the wait is killing me.

EDIT: Ended up pre-ordering the C8DH. [waiting intensifies]

Last edited:

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Quick, help me decide: X570 Tachi which is in stock for €285 or wait until the end of time for a Crosshair VIII Dark Hero that I paid €510 for and yet have to receive?

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Yeah I was happy to see the drivers come out with win7 support for the 6800 cards - means I'll likely be buying one of the mid-range jobs if and when the become available (I have an old win7 install I boot in to occasionally). They've finally fixed the multi-monitor power issue, excellent performance under linux already and perf/Watt is drastically improved over previous cards.

Board-wise I'd go with the ASRock board but that's mostly because I have a bias towards them. Having a board with a chipset fan would keep me up at night though so I'd be liable to go for the B550 Taichi instead. €500 for a motherboard seems fairly ludicrous though, does it lay golden eggs?

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Yeah I was happy to see the drivers come out with win7 support for the 6800 cards - means I'll likely be buying one of the mid-range jobs if and when the become available (I have an old win7 install I boot in to occasionally). They've finally fixed the multi-monitor power issue, excellent performance under linux already and perf/Watt is drastically improved over previous cards.

Board-wise I'd go with the ASRock board but that's mostly because I have a bias towards them. Having a board with a chipset fan would keep me up at night though so I'd be liable to go for the B550 Taichi instead. €500 for a motherboard seems fairly ludicrous though, does it lay golden eggs?
C8DH is fully passive, has a retardedly overbuilt VRM and some ASUS special sauce. X570 Taichi on the other hand is half the money, comes with a lesser but still overkill VRM and a chipset fan.

Last edited:

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Those cheeky ****ers from Megekko upped the price on the C8DH to €529, how dare they!

EDIT: I canceled my order at Megekko and placed one at Azerty instead, they at least have some indication when I can receive mine. Finally this goddamn build is getting on the road. lol no it isn't, it's delayed again, AAAAAAAAAAAAA

Cancelled my order at Azerty too and now i'm strongly considering saying **** it, getting a 3950X off hwbot and calling it a day.

Last edited:

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
3950X acquired (not from hwbot though lol), will get a C8DH some time next year when the NCOV outbreak has died down a bit, hopefully. That, and I don't really feel like spending more money right now.

X570 Taichi is EXTREMELY tempting for only €260 at Megekko though.. :thinking:

Last edited:

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
3950X came in the mail. Having massive issues getting 4x16 DIMMs to work reliably without crashing, guess I have more BZ videos to watch and learn how to OC RAM on Ryzen 3000.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Is it worth going Threadripper? I want to run 4x16GB B-die but since AM4 absolutely hates quad rank B-die i'm thinking of going Zen 3 TR.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
TR would be a pretty huge step-up in terms of outlay, even the lowest-end 16-core chip will likely be considerably more expensive than the 5950X, and the accompanying motherboard twice the price of the B550/X570 models. IMHO unless you're planning a workload where either >16 cores or the huge amount of IO is a requirement, then threadripper is usually overkill. Unless you have a wheelbarrow full of money to burn of course :)

However, if you can't run your system stably with four DIMMs then doesn't that point to something wrong with the motherboard...? I'm only using two DIMMs (2x32GB Kingston DIMMs using Micron ECC) but there's plenty of people out there running their ryzen's with four DIMMs. Or do you mean you're trying to run them overclocked?

Were you able to get your hands on a radeon 6000 yet?

Reactions: Wasmachineman_NL

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
TR would be a pretty huge step-up in terms of outlay, even the lowest-end 16-core chip will likely be considerably more expensive than the 5950X, and the accompanying motherboard twice the price of the B550/X570 models. IMHO unless you're planning a workload where either >16 cores or the huge amount of IO is a requirement, then threadripper is usually overkill. Unless you have a wheelbarrow full of money to burn of course :)

However, if you can't run your system stably with four DIMMs then doesn't that point to something wrong with the motherboard...? I'm only using two DIMMs (2x32GB Kingston DIMMs using Micron ECC) but there's plenty of people out there running their ryzen's with four DIMMs. Or do you mean you're trying to run them overclocked?

Were you able to get your hands on a radeon 6000 yet?
4x16 B-die is super hard to run on Zen 2, especially when you want to OC it to 3600. 2x32 is dual rank and significantly easier to run.

And no, I haven't bothered buying a RDNA2 card. I mailed a guy selling a EVGA 1080 Ti KPE (as that GPU is ****ING GORGEOUS) but he doesn't respond, F

EDIT: He replied, I can have it for €500. Should I do it?

EDIT 2: talked with Buildzoid about it, since the seller doesn't accept PayPal I decided to pass this one. I can't bear the risk of the card being DOA or getting lost in the post.

Last edited:

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
HOLY **** YES AT LAST! I SCORED A CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO! I got very lucky on amazon.nl and managed to order one in time earlier in the afternoon:

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
4x16 B-die is super hard to run on Zen 2, especially when you want to OC it to 3600. 2x32 is dual rank and significantly easier to run.
I can't confirm. B-Die is only needed when Zen1 or Zen+, but Zen2/3 memory OC is very easy, even with standard Micron / Hynix RAM.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I can't confirm. B-Die is only needed when Zen1 or Zen+, but Zen2/3 memory OC is very easy, even with standard Micron / Hynix RAM.
It doesn't help either that I am insanely impatient and the second my main system is unstable I want to throw it out of my bedroom window. Now that I have a C8DH en route I can tweak the living shit out of that one without downtime as I still have my current main system.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Hell yeah, my C8DH came in early. Amazingly, I put in my Ryzen 2600 and 970 Evo with a Win7 Enterprise install from my old setup and it booted right up after enabling CSM:

I also ordered a 980 Pro 1TB. Next step: acquiring a 5950X, finding a suitable cooler, raping my bank account for that upcoming Sapphire 6900 XT ToXic, and finding a higher resolution version of that Mew wallpaper, in that order.

Last edited:

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Suitable cooler acquired, on paper at least: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360. I mailed Fractal Design asking if it fits my Define 7 and it does! Out of Stock everywhere though, so that'll have to wait.

6900 XT ToXic also has been teased, can't wait!

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
LMAO the Toxic looks like ass, I don't want no goddamn AIO on my GPU, give me a retardedly huge air cooler or bust!

I still have that mail from a guy selling a 1080Ti KPE HydroCopper.. :thinking:

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
One thing I noticed though: this computer is stupidly quiet, and that's with a almost 8 year old (13xx serial) H100i V1. Even more unusually, this board can run Win7 with Zen 2 CPUs and the latest BIOS/AGESA, something my CH7 couldn't:

Still need to dial in my RAM, i'm currently using the Trident Z's XMP profile.