Help Me Pick New APs (Aruba vs Ruckus)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
Install Unleashed 200.7 (or whatever version your R600s run) on the R710 and it will work fine with your R600s.
They are on 200.7

Is there a specific 200.7 image for the R710?

And did you ever get your ZD VM working successfully?

Last edited:

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
And did you ever get your ZD VM working successfully?
Ruckus have been very delinquent about providing their GPL kernel changes - they keep providing kernel sources with most of their stuff missing - so I've not bothered to work on this recently.

Especially now that currently supported Unleashed APs are so cheap, and there's an easy vSZ licensing workaround, and I don't want more emails from Ruckus with their legal counsel cc'd in, I'm not sure I'll ever bother.

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
I don't really need more or better APs; it's just that the falling prices are alluring!

In that vein, I need to read up on vSZ

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
Ruckus have been very delinquent about providing their GPL kernel changes - they keep providing kernel sources with most of their stuff missing - so I've not bothered to work on this recently.

Especially now that currently supported Unleashed APs are so cheap, and there's an easy vSZ licensing workaround, and I don't want more emails from Ruckus with their legal counsel cc'd in, I'm not sure I'll ever bother.
Yeah the vSZ comment towards the end of the current Unleashed thread has me interested, should I PM you for the details on that or a different user? More of a curiosity thing; I think given single site, 2 APs, no tunneling, and no intent to purchase a Ruckus IoT license, that Unleashed would do just fine.

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
Well shoot, I see used Aruba AP-635 (RW, not US, triband) available for cheaper than the Ruckus R650, so that's a complication to my thinking. Not that I have any 6Ghz gear yet, but future proofing for cheaper than last gen is a tough call.

SuperMiguel

Jun 17, 2021
I have a 2 R710, and 2 R510 at home, i never have issues, but for some reason i really want to upgrade to the R650/R750... I never looked into Aruba, but those AP-635 look cool

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
I have a 2 R710, and 2 R510 at home, i never have issues, but for some reason i really want to upgrade to the R650/R750... I never looked into Aruba, but those AP-635 look cool
Weighing against that is a new learning curve :cool:

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
Weighing against that is a new learning curve :cool:
Yeah. I use Aruba at work now, but I've also deployed Unleashed, so for me neither would be a completely new experience. And one of my UAP-AC-PROs up and died last night so I had to reposition the other one. This just went from "planning to do it" to "need to do it."

May come down to a coin toss between the R650s and the AP-635's; I only have 1 6Ghz capable client; everything else is 5G ax MU-MIMO capable, except for two Airport Express units used for music. So I think the R650 with its 4x4:4 5G radio will be the better pick vs the AP-635's 2x2:2 setup.

Last edited:

rocketpanda40

Dec 12, 2019

I don't want to derail this thread, but I'd also be super interested in more details regarding the vSZ licensing

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
I wound up ordering a pair of R650's and mounting brackets; came in a bit cheaper than the AP-535 or 635 options; it'll be many years before I do enough equipment replacement to have enough 6ghz clients to justify the radios, and my Zigbee stuff is just lights (all Philips Hue ZLL) which the IoT radios in either product can't help me with anyway.

I'll flash one to Unleashed to get it up and running immediately while using the other one to play with vSZ; the side of my house the second AP services is only to fill out coverage and is the less used side of the house anyway.

Thanks all for feedback and experiences with the various gear. I did seriously consider the ECW336 as well, but R650 won on price.

GameandTechFocus

Nov 26, 2023
gameandtechfocus.com
I'm currently going through very similar process. Mainly as a network hobbyist.

I'm still testing and comparing each (as I ended up purchasing both for testing purpose), so far I think Ruckus series have higher objective performance. On my tests, Ruckus R350 has reached above 73% WiFi Efficiency while max I got on AP 535 was 68%. Both are far superior to any other previous WiFi setups I've ever owned though. Aruba is more customizable, and as a hobbyist it feels like there is a bit more things to play and analyze. I am having hard time deciding between two and for anyone reading this in the future, I think there is probably no right or wrong answer here, and it is most likely gonna end up being personal preference and order of priority on what's more important on WiFi setup.