Help me come up with a sane backup solution (iphone/macbook/minipc/b2)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nquinn

Jan 1, 2022
Would love to hear some ideas on simplifying a backup solution that makes sense.

I'd basically like to discuss solving 2 main issues:

(1) Apple storage and iCloud storage is more expensive than I want to use. iPhone is only 256gb, and my macbook is 1TB. I refuse to pay Apple $400 more for 2tb or $800 for 4tb. Additionally, I don't want to pay $10/month for 2TB iCloud storage forever. (their lower tier is 200gb).

(2) Want a way to regularly get photos off of my iPhone and backed up in at least 2 places: my local miniPC/NAS type SMB solution and then a 2nd copy to cheap backblaze b2 or similar storage like aws glacier

(3) I'd ideally like a system to keep access to some older photos available to view on my phone, but delete everything else to open up space

I currently have about 100gb of historical travel photos/movies sitting around which isn't a ton. I've been creating manual folders grouped by year to manually pull in the photos I care about (mostly travel and some family).

However, with increased resolution, my iPhone photos are adding up more quickly at about 20-30gb a year.

What sane solution are you using to organize your iphone photos, regularly delete them from your phone to clear up space, and automatically push them to a NAS/SMB solution + B2?

I realize icloud solves a lot of this but just don't want to pay $10/month for that. In addition that storage also can't be used for any macbook file backups of documents which means I'd need yet ANOTHER solution. Just a lot of reasons I don't want to touch icloud for backup.

I'm looking into photosync for my iphone to regularly pull stuff over to my macbook, and then maybe use rclone to copy to both a minipc and b2?

Tell me about your system!

- around 130gb existing photos
- a few hundred gig of other misc stuff to backup on laptop
- 256gb iphone
- 1tb macbook
- miniPC with 1tb, but could easily bump this to 2-4tb
- currently syncing photos from macbook to b2 for .0059/gb/month