Help identify switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

StormX

Mar 12, 2020
I have got a switch with no id labels & logos. It had no RAM and boot disk.
I would like to get some information about this box and try to restore it with ONIE and SONIC

I installed 8GB DDR4 2133 SODIMM and was able to get into the BIOS which says the system runs on Xeon D-1557 CPU.

There is a small Ericsson logo on cover. It has the same top cover, fans, and PSU as Celestica DX010. LED shape, layout and color look Celestica-style as well.

One label says NRU 0301, which points to Ericsson as well but there is 0 information about it on the internet.

Any help is appriciated. :)

Attachments

StormX

Mar 12, 2020
You are both awesome! Thanks a lot! )

I found out that this switch uses ONIE + Netvisor ONE operating system developed by Pluribus (now Arista).
Since it is an Ericsson-branded Selestica I am sure it is a bare metal switch which can run ONIE + SONIC.

As i mentioned before, the switch came with no ram and system disk. It errors on failed BMC. I suppose it is due to some missing part, which is probably "
DDR4 1GB/SPI 32MB Flash for dual boot" referenced in Celestica Seastone2E DX031datasheet.

Please, help identify missing component

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: ano

StormX

Mar 12, 2020
Looks like it's missing the BMC board based on the DX030 Seastone2 design.

Here's some internal pictures I've taken:
Thank you! This is the information i was looking for.

So, now I need to identify and get this missing bmc board, does it have any id, labels or references?

klui

Feb 3, 2019
@fyx, I looked at the community source for ONIE and there's nothing for Seastone2. Does your DX030 use a custom build of ONIE or does it work with Seastone(1)?

Are you guys working on any newer version of SONiC other than 202012?

StormX

Mar 12, 2020
@fyx, I looked at the community source for ONIE and there's nothing for Seastone2. Does your DX030 use a custom build of ONIE or does it work with Seastone(1)?

Are you guys working on any newer version of SONiC other than 202012?
I have seen an image for Seastone2 on official website. See 40:

Last edited:

klui

Feb 3, 2019
These images are of the NOS not ONIE. The NOS binary has a header script that assumes ONIE is already installed in the storage device. There are also post installation commands that obtains ONIE-generated metadata.

StormX

Mar 12, 2020
This switch runs onie + netvisor one OS by default. So it has built in onie. I think it is stored on the BMC board i am trying to identify

klui

Feb 3, 2019
While I don't have any experience with BMC-enabled switches, non-BMC-enabled switches have ONIE installed on the storage device. I would think BMC is used for remote management (power on, off, monitoring, console access, OS install) like on a server.

It's silly the thing can't function without a BMC.

StormX

Mar 12, 2020
While I don't have any experience with BMC-enabled switches, non-BMC-enabled switches have ONIE installed on the storage device. I would think BMC is used for remote management (power on, off, monitoring, console access, OS install) like on a server.

It's silly the thing can't function without a BMC.
There is a flash chip for "dual boot" (according to the datasheet) on BMC board. I suppose it stores bootloader.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
The quick swap plastic chip holder in the bottom corner should be a flash. The firmware in that flash should be highly proprietary. Even if the module isn't, which I slightly doubt. No Aspeed image compiled for one board works with any other. Make sure to understand the Aspeed flash layout before spending more money on this. Like buying such a module and trying to cross-flash it. Afraid 80% chance this switch is for the dumpster. See if you can return it, because too gutted to get it working again, and seller didn't tell you.

StormX

Mar 12, 2020
The quick swap plastic chip holder in the bottom corner should be a flash. The firmware in that flash should be highly proprietary. Even if the module isn't, which I slightly doubt. No Aspeed image compiled for one board works with any other. Make sure to understand the Aspeed flash layout before spending more money on this. Like buying such a module and trying to cross-flash it. Afraid 80% chance this switch is for the dumpster. See if you can return it, because too gutted to get it working again, and seller didn't tell you.
Thank you for info! I have got it for 100 bucks :)