Help: How to power 23 devices (15 SATA HDD + 8 molex fans)?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

trumee

Jan 31, 2016
Hello,

I bought a Rosewill RSV-L4500 which can house 15 drives. In addition the chassis needs power for 8 fans via molex. So the total ports which need to be powered are 23. The PSU (Seasonic SSR-550RM) I have only has 4 ports to provide power as shown below.

Can you suggest me what cables do i need to power 23 devices or if I need a new PSU?

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
For the disks, I'd just make myself some custom power extensions with the SATA vampire plugs like @PigLover shows here...
Server 2012 R2, Storage Spaces and Tiering

The fans should be able to be easily run off the other power port on your PSU via daisy chaining the molex connectors on the fans and molex splitters. Or, if this is a brand new PSU and you can return it, I'd just go with an EVGA Supernova G2 750 Watt. That's what I use to power my loaded Norco 4224 case.

trumee

Jan 31, 2016
I think an issue i have is getting a long cable. The 30 inch cable i have is not long enough to reach the drive cage furthest away from PSU.
The EVGA PSU has the same 6 pin port as my Seasonic. Was your cable long enough to reach the drive cage?

I found this cable on Amazon, www.amazon.com/dp/B0014XDBIA/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_pfHixbTGZAC8B
which is 72 inch long. This paired with this cable, eBay may work.

Will the voltage drop be too much for this long cable?

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
I think an issue i have is getting a long cable. The 30 inch cable i have is not long enough to reach the drive cage furthest away from PSU.
The EVGA PSU has the same 6 pin port as my Seasonic. Was your cable long enough to reach the drive cage?

I found this cable on Amazon, www.amazon.com/dp/B0014XDBIA/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_pfHixbTGZAC8B
which is 72 inch long. This paired with this cable, eBay may work.

Will the voltage drop be too much for this long cable?
Yes, mine reach easily in my Norco 4224 (It has backplanes instead of having to wire individual disks like your L4500 requires you to do). I probably only needed 8" of cable to reach the backplanes in my case though. Here's my setup. I have all the backplanes hooked up to two separate molex runs from my PSU and the 120mm fans in the fan wall are off another daisy chained together. the back 80mm fans run off a PWM splitter attached to the motherboard.

#95 New Home Server

Also, you need to be careful with molex splitters and extensions. If they aren't well made they can be a fire hazard.