Help finding a low cost 20A PDU?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MACscr

May 4, 2011
I am finally upgrading from my 2 smaller colo's to a half rack and now I have to provide my own PDU, which I wasn't initially expecting. I am looking to spend less than $100 after shipping and even less would be better. I don't think I need remote reboot as I can do that with IPMI on 98% of my systems and if that fails, they do offer free manual reboots if/when needed. If I can find a good deal though on ones that do have it though, it definitely wouldn't hurt. Would definitely be useful though if they did metering so I could see how many amps I am using. Per port port metering would be nice, but I dont I think only total amps usage is going to be available within my price range. I could go with a zeroU 110v 20amp Trip Lite that would give me 28 ports or I do have a couple short systems and could put multiple 1U PDU's behind them that were maybe cheaper than the Trip Lite or offered more features. I seem to only get 1 x 5-20P 110V 20A port from my DC if that makes any difference.

Any suggestions? I am completely new to PDU shopping and am really looking for some guidance on this. Thanks!

MACscr

May 4, 2011
That's a great price, so I read the manual. Unfortunately, these do not have a built-in web interface; they are RS-232 serial only.
Yeah, I saw that, but they can be daisy chained and connected to a single serial port on pfsense box and used that way. Plus even if didnt use the management aspects of it, its a decent price for a metered pdu. I ended up getting two of them for $84 after shipping. Gotta love Best Offer options.

MACscr

May 4, 2011
Well crap. After paying for them, I just found out from my DC that I can only use a single PDU unless I want to pay for a second circuit. What a pain in the arse!