HEDT platform advice

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
What is your budget? Also why do you need full BW on GPUs? I assume it is not for gaming.

If money is not the concern, I would check with Saphire Rapid Workstations. They are overclockable and would you give you the highest CPU, low latency with plenty of PCI-E lanes (112) and memory bandwidth. I think threadripper is another option but Intel still has the best single thread performance.

On the other hand, it is possible that your expectations are unnecessary as others called out here.

mikeone

Mar 17, 2024
My budget is 4000 euro including :
CPU+Mobo+RAM+TR AIO+Sliger case + USB4 Pcie card

Money is indeed a concern as I can't have any Threadripper pro with my budget :/

P.S : how Sapphire rapid has a better single thread performance ? best cpu boost on intel side is 4.8Ghz, amd is 5.3Ghz.
or am I missing something here ?

Last edited:

mikeone

Mar 17, 2024
I echo the sentiment that there is just not enough information yet to know if your bottleneck is PCIe bandwidth to the GPUs, or raw compute for the games, or NUMA/cache issues with the two CCDs in the 5950X, or even I/O wait with the other workloads collocated on the system.
I am open to fine tuning and testing, how can I narrow down the issue ?

I would split main gaming system and the rest of em. I doubt mac os X will be fast with passthrough and etc, so I'd ignore performance aspect there.
For me it will be: Xeon with lots of memory and PCIe slots for everything virtualized and personal gaming/workstation rig.

I'm running 5800x3d/4090 with 2600v3/128gb Ram and 3060ti passthrough for VMs. My board got integrated 10G and SAS, so I was able to place everything in compact case.
splitting is my last ressort I would really like to have 1 workstation that house everything. however about the Mac VM it's out of the equation I am going to user my MBP M1 Pro.

mikeone

Mar 17, 2024
what do you think guys about the Nvidia P4 single slot Gpu ? I should be able to divide the gpu between severals vm's including the one for NVR AI and some others graphical accelerated vm's ?
Do you advice the P4 or there is a better alternative as a single gpu slot on the market for a relatively similar price ?

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
splitting is my last ressort I would really like to have 1 workstation that house everything. however about the Mac VM it's out of the equation I am going to user my MBP M1 Pro.
It will work for arcade games, but for anything fast real work station is the way to go.

I'd also split due to efficiency concernsm, but that's just me.