HBA card with both internal SAS-mini and SAS-miniHD connectors

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Bone

Jan 3, 2023
Hello,

I have a DELL t7910 and it is factory fitted with 4x3.5 hot swap hdd bays witch uses the SAS-mini connector. i wanted to expand the 5.25 bay to the factory 4x2.5 hhd hot-swap bay. The factory caddy I purchased came out of a Dell t7920 which has the newer square SAS-miniHD connector. The system is currently running with 2 different HBAs. I would like to consolidate both bays which use 2 different connectors to one HBA card.

Anyone have any ideas on which card i could use?

T_Bone

Jan 3, 2023
I don't think there's a card that has both internal miniSAS and miniSAS-HD

There are adapters from miniSAS-HD to miniSAS if that works?
I looked for adapters, could find the right one. Could you provide a link for which ones you are referring to? Thank you!!

T_Bone

Jan 3, 2023

Attachments

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
No you do not. Just use the new cable to connect your hba to the backplane. Remove the old cable (between the backplane and the "coupler" in your drawing) completely .

T_Bone

Jan 3, 2023
No you do not. Just use the new cable to connect your hba to the backplane. Remove the old cable (between the backplane and the "coupler" in your drawing) completely .
I have attached a photo of the backplane, its not a conventional backplane.

Attachments

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
The picture of the minisas part of your config would be more useful. T7910 has a SAS3008 on board and it uses minisas hd connectors for everything.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I have attached a photo of the backplane, its not a conventional backplane.
can't really tell from your pic what's going on with the power but if you want the correct sas connectors on each end I bet you can find an SFF-8087 to SFF-8482 with the right alignment ie. screw holes on the side of the drive connector or somethign else to latch into your metal brackets. power you can probably adapt to what you need. kinda surprised that part didn't exist for the 7910.

heromode

May 25, 2020
it's called "SFF-8087 to SFF-8643 cable". Pick the length you need.
Not to wade in on anything else in this thread, but as a useful hint, i recently did some reading when searching for cables to my backplane, and if you have longer cables etc then it's handy to know that SFF-8088 to SFF-8644 for example would be shielded versions of "SFF-8087 to SFF-8643".

Took awhile to figure that out from some scsi standards document.. but good to know.