having problems getting java to run with ipmi login

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jim k

Jan 31, 2023
I have this board and cpu combo Supermicro X9DRI-LN4F+ E-ATX LGA 2011 Server Motherboard W/ 2x E5-2630 64GB DDR3. I am able to login to the ipmi but I am not able to get java to work. I have downloaded and installed the latest version of Java.

Thanks for the help

Screenshot 2023-03-20 204530.png
I am getting this error message when I try and launch the counsel redirection.

I have the latest bmc firmware installed ver 3.48.

Last edited:

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Time to run it in a container, this is some true legacy stuff you shouldn't configure your main system for anymore. There was a not too old thread about exactly this. Another way would be installing an old 32-bit desktop OS in a VM and run an old JRE with an Old browser in there.

jim k

Jan 31, 2023
Time to run it in a container, this is some true legacy stuff you shouldn't configure your main system for anymore. There was a not too old thread about exactly this. Another way would be installing an old 32-bit desktop OS in a VM and run an old JRE with an Old browser in there.
ok i am using my main windows 10 machine to access the server. Any suggestions to accomplish this?

thanks

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
@jim k : If any of this is stuff you already know, apologies. Just not sure how much background you have:

Modern browsers don't work with Java by default, so you have to create exception(s) to run the Java based remote console that X9 boards have. Because the exception process varies a bit between browsers, operating systems, and Java version(s) installed, there's a chance that you can follow a web tutorial to the letter, only to have it not work. There's also a lot of workarounds out there involving using old versions of browsers and virtual machines and etc. Each option has pros and cons both for ease of use and security risks.

BUT! If you're mostly needing the remote console for things like BIOS configuration and OS installation without having to connect a monitor, then you may want to just download and use Supermicro's IPMIView instead. It's got its own self-contained Java bits that are set up to work with your specific board. Because it doesn't use a browser or installed Java instance for displaying the remote window, there's no Java security failure warnings. It will usually just work.

The downside is that when using current versions of IPMIView with older boards like yours, the remote window can have a green tint. For BIOS screens or text based OS installs and etc, this shouldn't be an issue. If you're trying to regularly run a desktop OS remotely though, probably not the best fit.

EDIT: Scroll down on the linked page to the IPMIView download. You may need to register to download. Its free.

Server Management Software Resources | Support

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
I've had to use a stand-alone portable version of Firefox 84 in order to admin my X9 supermicro IPMI and java 7 due to the changes that don't allow TLS 1.0/1.1 anymore.

Give that a go.

sko

Jun 11, 2021
Just use ipmitool and connect to the SOL console.
Those ancient NPAPI-based java consoles aren't working any more (respectively: for several years now).

Even if it offers to download the applet to run it natively via JRE, they use outdated encryption algorithms (e.g. SHA1) which have been removed and aren't accepted.

casperghst42

Sep 14, 2015
As JRE(11) no longer comes with JavaWebStart (javaws) I started using OpenWebStart which allow you to download and use an older version jre - that could help you to download to a version of jre which does not have this problem, without having to mess around with the one you have installed for other stuff.

Pete.S.

Feb 6, 2019
There is only one right answer to these questions and that has already been given - use IPMIview. You'll get the same exact iKVM window without any hassle.

IPMIview is also the only way to keep your sanity, if you have several servers.

If you want to remote control your desktop for other reasons, like remote working, you need to run rdp (windows) or vnc (linux) or one of the other options available.

Reactions: Markess

superyin

May 13, 2023
This is not your problem. I had the same. You need to edit your Java.security file. Do THIS and it will work.
I confirmed after following this method to enable TLS 1.0 in Java, the remote console Jviewer in Asrockrack D1541D4U works. Thanks.