Having issue with NVMe format of Intel DC P3600 SSD...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I have the following SSD in my server:

Code:
# isdct show -intelssd 0

- Intel SSD DC P3600 Series PHMD5485003SXXXXXX -

Bootloader : 8B1B0133
DevicePath : /dev/nvme0n1
DeviceStatus : Healthy
Firmware : 8DV101H0
FirmwareUpdateAvailable : The selected drive contains current firmware as of this tool release.
Index : 0
ModelNumber : INTEL SSDPE2ME400G4
ProductFamily : Intel SSD DC P3600 Series
SerialNumber : PHMD5485003SXXXXXX
It's currently with 4k sectors and I want to format to 512b sectors. I've tried both nvme-cli and Intel's own isdct tool, but no success.

Code:
# nvme format /dev/nvme0 -n 1 -l 0
NVME Admin command error:INTERNAL: The command was not completed successfully due to an internal error(6)
Code:
# isdct start -intelssd 0 -nvmeformat -namespace 1 LBAFormat=0
WARNING! You have selected to format the drive!
Proceed with the format? (Y|N): Y
Formatting...(This can take several minutes to complete)

# echo $?
Any idea why? The drive otherwise works ok with 4k sectors... the supported formats are shown as:

Code:
# nvme id-ns /dev/nvme0 -n 1 -H | grep ^LBA
LBA Format  0 : Metadata Size: 0   bytes - Data Size: 512 bytes - Relative Performance: 0x2 Good
LBA Format  1 : Metadata Size: 8   bytes - Data Size: 512 bytes - Relative Performance: 0x2 Good
LBA Format  2 : Metadata Size: 16  bytes - Data Size: 512 bytes - Relative Performance: 0x2 Good
LBA Format  3 : Metadata Size: 0   bytes - Data Size: 4096 bytes - Relative Performance: 0 Best (in use)
LBA Format  4 : Metadata Size: 8   bytes - Data Size: 4096 bytes - Relative Performance: 0 Best
LBA Format  5 : Metadata Size: 64  bytes - Data Size: 4096 bytes - Relative Performance: 0 Best
LBA Format  6 : Metadata Size: 128 bytes - Data Size: 4096 bytes - Relative Performance: 0 Best

zenmdr

Nov 25, 2020
I have the following SSD in my server:

Code:
# isdct show -intelssd 0

Bootloader : 8B1B0133
DevicePath : /dev/nvme0n1
DeviceStatus : Healthy
Firmware : 8DV101H0
FirmwareUpdateAvailable : The selected drive contains current firmware as of this tool release.
Index : 0
ModelNumber : INTEL SSDPE2ME400G4
ProductFamily : Intel SSD DC P3600 Series
SerialNumber : PHMD5485003SXXXXXX
It's currently with 4k sectors and I want to format to 512b sectors. I've tried both nvme-cli and Intel's own isdct tool, but no success.

Code:
# nvme format /dev/nvme0 -n 1 -l 0
NVME Admin command error:INTERNAL: The command was not completed successfully due to an internal error(6)
Code:
# isdct start -intelssd 0 -nvmeformat -namespace 1 LBAFormat=0
WARNING! You have selected to format the drive!
Proceed with the format? (Y|N): Y
Formatting...(This can take several minutes to complete)

# echo $?
Any idea why? The drive otherwise works ok with 4k sectors... the supported formats are shown as:

Code:
# nvme id-ns /dev/nvme0 -n 1 -H | grep ^LBA
LBA Format  0 : Metadata Size: 0   bytes - Data Size: 512 bytes - Relative Performance: 0x2 Good
LBA Format  1 : Metadata Size: 8   bytes - Data Size: 512 bytes - Relative Performance: 0x2 Good
LBA Format  2 : Metadata Size: 16  bytes - Data Size: 512 bytes - Relative Performance: 0x2 Good
LBA Format  3 : Metadata Size: 0   bytes - Data Size: 4096 bytes - Relative Performance: 0 Best (in use)
LBA Format  4 : Metadata Size: 8   bytes - Data Size: 4096 bytes - Relative Performance: 0 Best
LBA Format  5 : Metadata Size: 64  bytes - Data Size: 4096 bytes - Relative Performance: 0 Best
LBA Format  6 : Metadata Size: 128 bytes - Data Size: 4096 bytes - Relative Performance: 0 Best
any updates on this? is this issue solved?

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
Shot in the dark, but have you tried intels newer Intel® Memory and Storage Tool (IntelMAS) drive management tool? It seems they have stopped development of isdct and are shifting to intelmas.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Shot in the dark, but have you tried intels newer Intel® Memory and Storage Tool (IntelMAS) drive management tool? It seems they have stopped development of isdct and are shifting to intelmas.

Yeah, I did. Same results. I don't think it's a software issue... as 4 other drives of the same model work fine with reformatting, just not this one.

NickN85

Oct 27, 2020
Yeah, I did. Same results. I don't think it's a software issue... as 4 other drives of the same model work fine with reformatting, just not this one.
I have a bunch of DC P4600s and 2 did not want to reformat ultimatly using a disk partition software I was able to reformat them. EaseUS partition master pro. I know lame solution but it worked.

b-rex

Aug 14, 2020
Did you by chance buy your drives from eBay? Ever come up with a solution? I bought mine from a specific seller and am having the same problems. I can't even secure erase the devices. I have 4...none will allow an nvmeformat. I'm looking everywhere for an answer, but can't find one. With 4096 I'm dead in the water with my current project.

Last edited:

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Did you by chance buy your drives from eBay? Ever come up with a solution? I bought mine from a specific seller and am having the same problems. I can't even secure erase the devices. I have 4...none will allow an nvmeformat. I'm looking everywhere for an answer, but can't find one. With 4096 I'm dead in the water with my current project.
unfortunately not. been dealing with a bunch of other issues recently and haven't had time. on top of that, one my shower faucets failed tonight and won't shutoff, so I had to shutoff the main valve; no running water until I can fix it - hopefully tomorrow.

i did read somewhere that this happened to someone after they upgraded the firmware to the latest. does yours have the same firmware version as shown in my 1st post?

b-rex

Aug 14, 2020
unfortunately not. been dealing with a bunch of other issues recently and haven't had time. on top of that, one my shower faucets failed tonight and won't shutoff, so I had to shutoff the main valve; no running water until I can fix it - hopefully tomorrow.

i did read somewhere that this happened to someone after they upgraded the firmware to the latest. does yours have the same firmware version as shown in my 1st post?
Ouch! Not good. I had that happen a couple of years ago. Hopefully you can get it fixed soon.

And yes...same firmware. Unfortunately, it looks like once you take the most recent firmware, you're pretty much locked in. I'm looking into it as well. I've used every tool I can think of. No luck using nvme-cli, esxcli, Intel MAS or DCT. They all give some version of the same response...ioctl error (mas/dct), internal error (nvme-cli), timeout/namespace offline (esx). I'm stuck with LBA 3 unless I find something but I'm out of ideas especially if it's an issue with the firmware. I'll update this if/when I find out more.

b-rex

Aug 14, 2020

Just a heads up, I have some of these that I purchased new a while back and attempted to get support for them since they still have warranty. Unfortunately, they're claiming the place I bought them from voids my warranty even though they were sealed when I bought them. Either way, in the process, they admitted the firmware update destroyed the devices and that had my warranty been valid (very upset about this considering how expensive they were back then), they would have to be replaced. I've checked other functionality on the device (i.e. maximumlba, sanitize, etc) and none of them work.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Just a heads up, I have some of these that I purchased new a while back and attempted to get support for them since they still have warranty. Unfortunately, they're claiming the place I bought them from voids my warranty even though they were sealed when I bought them. Either way, in the process, they admitted the firmware update destroyed the devices and that had my warranty been valid (very upset about this considering how expensive they were back then), they would have to be replaced. I've checked other functionality on the device (i.e. maximumlba, sanitize, etc) and none of them work.
Can you clarify this statement? Who is "they?" Intel or the reseller?

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
... Either way, in the process, they admitted the firmware update destroyed the devices and that had my warranty been valid (very upset about this considering how expensive they were back then), they would have to be replaced...
First of all hard to believe Intel would admit it and second, if they admit it hard to believe someone would accept a firmware destroying his devices without doing something. Are you located in US?

b-rex

Aug 14, 2020
First of all hard to believe Intel would admit it and second, if they admit it hard to believe someone would accept a firmware destroying his devices without doing something. Are you located in US?
Yes, I'm in the US. The conversation I had with their support representative led to them telling me that the devices needed to be replaced because the controller could no longer handle a 0x80 command without crashing. When I asked why, they said that they couldn't be sure but that the firmware would be the likely cause given it's role in handling format commands. They then told me they could do nothing else and that they would close my case. And I certainly don't want to accept it but what else can I do? Sue Intel? I mean there's really nothing to be done. The drives still work with 4k sectors, I just can't switch them to 512 anymore or secure erase or do anything within the firmware really. They'll still format with LBA 3 but instantly go offline when trying to issue other commands. "Destroy" is not the right word, but the firmware certainly will cripple functionality. I'd just recommend to anyone with these devices that they not update the firmware if they ever plan on switching the sector size.

Last edited:

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
... "Destroy" is not the right word, but the firmware certainly will cripple functionality.
Limiting 'functionality' by firmware upgrade is a different thing than 'destroying' a drive and making it unusable. Thanks for making it more clear.

Arvind

Jan 27, 2018
Yeah, I did. Same results. I don't think it's a software issue... as 4 other drives of the same model work fine with reformatting, just not this one
Sorry to hear about the issues, and thank you for sharing. What firmware are the other 4 "known good" drives at, and do they format to 512?