Have a problem with supermicro h11dsi

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sava

Dec 16, 2020
Hello everyone!
My server
Motherboard Mbd-h11dsi-b rev 2.0
2x amd epyc 7571
8x atech dimm 2666
Power evga supernova 1000g2
Fans cpu supermicro h11

Problem with start-up.
When plugged in, the green lights come on immediately, the system appears to be stable, but does not respond to the power button. The CPU fans are switched off.
Tried:
Swap the processors
Reset the bios settings
Switch processors one by one, swap memory (both according to manual and the same, lots of different options).
When replacing the power supply, LEDs light up and CPU fans start to run. Also the on/off button does not respond and there is no video signal. The vga jumper is on.
Can you please advise what else I can do?

Sava

Dec 16, 2020
Yes, as the instructions for this board say. Tried shorting it directly.
The thing is that the system immediately starts itself, automatically, but there is no video signal, with no response to the power and reset contacts.
Another question, should the LEDs light up immediately, when plugged in, or only after pressing the power button?
Thank you for trying to help.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
yes, LED ligths up when you connect 24pin atx connector to your mainboard.

maybe there is another shorting with your computer case.

try to take out the mainboard from your case, put on a wooden table and try that way.

you have to rule out some factors one by one.

try anithor PSU

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Are you able to get into the ipmi?
Rev2 have individual passwords, printed on a sticker on the board.

In the ipmi, you have the ikvm which you could use as another means of powercycling and video out.
Another important operation in the ipmi would be POST-CODE SNOOPING and the Bios upate functionality.
Maybe the board came used from someone like me who flashed an ES bios, your Naples woun't work with that.
In that specific case, you'd expect a permanent 00 or FF postcode.

Sava

Dec 16, 2020
Are you able to get into the ipmi?
Rev2 have individual passwords, printed on a sticker on the board.

In the ipmi, you have the ikvm which you could use as another means of powercycling and video out.
Another important operation in the ipmi would be POST-CODE SNOOPING and the Bios upate functionality.
Maybe the board came used from someone like me who flashed an ES bios, your Naples woun't work with that.
In that specific case, you'd expect a permanent 00 or FF postcode.
Yes, exactly. The POST codes tab is exactly ff but the ikve console does not show anything, even if you start the motherboard without processors.
On the console ikvm, html5 no signal and post codes, when turned on.

Sava

Dec 16, 2020
yes, LED ligths up when you connect 24pin atx connector to your mainboard.

maybe there is another shorting with your computer case.

try to take out the mainboard from your case, put on a wooden table and try that way.

you have to rule out some factors one by one.

try anithor PSU
I tried that, but it didn't help either. Thanks

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
So, since the Postcode is FF, you most likely have an incompatible BIOS on the board. Flash another.
ipmi license keys can be generated, just search for it.

Sava

Dec 16, 2020
I activated the code and updated the bios. Although the version was identical. Removed everything from the board, even the processor, but at startup, the console ikve not output even post codes. Tried to swap the vga jumper, but to no avail. The bios won't start

Sava

Dec 16, 2020
There is one more nuance. During assembly, I mixed up the front panel pins and included them here. Could this have done any harm?Screenshot_20201219-081158.pngHere is the pinout of these pins.
I shorted 17 with 18
And 19 with 20.
The rest are connected as led indicators, respectively the front panel

Screenshot_20201219-081131.png

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
maybe you did harmfull connecting power button to tpm port.

but what happens now when you short the correct pins to startup your mainboard outside computer case ?? with only 2 cpu's installed

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Thing is, FF is the first Postcode and that means the board isn't doing anything after turning on the power-supply.
So RAM usually isn't the cause of the issue at that stage.

Again, usually because of an issue with the Bios but in this case, that rather indicates a fundamental hardware fault.
Shorting TPM pins 19 to 20 shouldn't be an issue, but shorting 17 to 18 should, at least as long as they are shorted, prevent POST.
I don't think that should do any lasting damage, but who really knows ?

Where and how did you get the Board?
What bios did you flash? Where did you get that Bios ?
Where did you get the CPUs?

What are the Debugging features in the ipmi saying ?

Sava

Dec 16, 2020
I got the processors from a trusted ebay vendor.
I downloaded the bios from the official site, of course.
Post code is written in the post codes tab, main menu ipmi
None of the sensors on the motherboard works. I was running it with the same cpu and the same memory card in different slots.
Processors used to work on another model of supermicro, but the motherboard did not test.
I don't know about the debug menu, but I plan to take it back and get another one that has been tested. Thanks for all messages

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
so, some other posts on this platform point to postcode FF also being the case when the CPUs have been vendor locked.
Hence, those cpus probably work, but only in a dell or hp where they come from ?

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
sorry, dell only?
And i just skimmed over it again, i jumped to conclusions. FF is not in any way confirmed to be the Vendor lock thingy.

How rough was the board installation? Being rough and ripping parts can cause FF Postcodes in my experience ;D

Sava

Dec 16, 2020
Didn't find any damage
It's not the first time after all ) thanks everyone for the tips. Does anyone have a similar board?

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Are we sure that those 7571 are supported by the stock bios on an H11DSI? After all, it's an OEM-specific SKU... of course, there could still be a lot of other things going wrong. I would start by assembling the thing outside of a case, and try it there.
I have the same boards, but rev. 1 and only retail CPUs.