Has anyone tried Server 2016 Hyper-V and DDA on Ryzen?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ChrisM

Mar 17, 2017
Hi Everyone. First time poster though I've been following ServeTheHome on and off for a while.

I've been following the news on Ryzen closely and am very tempted by a 1700 as it seems to offer a lot more for the money than a comparable Xeon. The only thing holding me back is that one of the things I'd like to experiment with is Hyper-V DDA (PCIe passthrough).

There seems to be virtually no reports out there on whether/how well Ryzen works with Hyper-V at all and reports on DDA are just very few generally and mostly on hardware that's well out of my price range (https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/virtualization/2015/11/23/discrete-device-assignment-gpus/ has a couple of comments from people who tried with consumer hardware - one with a 6800K on Asus X99 WS that failed and one with a 6700K and Maximus Hero VIII Z170 who claims to have succeeded).

Is there anyone on this forum running Server 2016 Hyper-V on Ryzen at all? If so have you or would you be willing to give DDA a try? Alternatively, Patrick if you read this please would you consider trying it out on one of your Ryzen setups like you did VMWare ESXi?

For anyone who wants to try Setting up Discrete Device Assignment with a GPU - Working Hard In IT contains some good instructions and Sarah Cooley's blog posts (one of which I mentioned above) contains lots of background information as well as instructions.