Hardware solution for a monitoring system

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

java

Jan 28, 2013
Europe
I need a hardware solution in order to build a monitoring system for my servers. Requirements :
1. Low power consumption
2. Reliable
3. Quite powerful
4. At least 3 gigabit ports (could be 100Mbit but I prefer to have everywhere gigabit ports)
5. Low noise
6. Size must be no more than 1U

The system will run cacti on some Linux distro, Centos probably. In future it will run other monitoring software. Looking around I found that only soekris boards satisfies my requirements. This is exactly what I needed - Board : net6501-50 (CPU 1Ghz, 1Gb RAM), 4Gb ports, support for SATA hdds, I can even build a software RAID with it. Also it has rack mountable chassis : Soekris board in rack mountable chassis

The only problem is the cost, it will cost me over $500 including shipping to Europe.

Could someone propose a cheaper solution ?

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
If you want something powerful look into the regular ivy bridge boards by Supermicro. They have a few LN4 models with 4 x ethernet and remote management. The only problem is that a 1u chassis or smaller is not easy to make silent. Passive cooling like on the atom is out of the question.
I'm sure you have your sources for complete servers or barebones on our side of the pond. Low costs in shipping, tax and easy returns/service.