Hardware Security Modules safenet / thales

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jd456

Sep 16, 2020
here are some PCI-E part numbers avalable on ebay
there are also dedicated servers avalable with these plugged in also avalable.

SafeNet VBD-05
s-l1600.jpg
Safenet VBD-04-0103
Safenet 834-04005-002
Thales nshield solo nCipher Thales A-022001-L
s-l1600.jpg

linux user guide for newer ncipher cards
datasheet for older cards (in pic)
user guide

SUN Oracle 375-3424-06 CMN 3010 Crypto Accelerator ( x6000a )
s-l1600.jpg
manual from ~ 2007

These are extremley expensive new but avalable on ebay rather cheaply these days, and could be intresting to play with. Does anyone here run a CA from these?

I am struggling to find goof information on these, the ones on ebay all seem to be older models that have been purchased by thales and no longer sold so better documentation is found in the internet archive.

Has anyone experience using these in a professional or homelab conext? Does anyone know about the software, API and liscencing issues with them? Any advice?

Last edited:

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
15 years ago I worked with a few like these. You need to have at least 3 of them in 3 different servers. This is so you can change out one of the cards if a card goes bad. and not lose the cipher/certificate.

The servers that I worked with were placed in a security cage with secure racks in them to reduce physical access.

Usually these were set them and forget them scenario. not much to play with, There is other software that interfaces with Apache/Windows IIS to make it run correctly.

Chris

Reactions: Aluminat and jd456