H310 FW Flashing issue

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I recently got a H310 that is a dud. The ebay seller credited and did not want the card back. So I have a card to experiment. I can boot the system so no need to use the tape the pins B5-B6 (I think.) . However, none of the LSI tools such as megarec, megaoem, megaCLI can't see the card. I don't really see any jumpers on the card. Trying to see if any of you have played with shorting any JTAG or other connectors to get megarec / any of the LSI tools to recognize like @mobilenvidia in this post on H200
Dell H200 / LSI 9211-8i brick revival.
I am willing to give it a try if someone has any pointers.

fnurr

Jan 24, 2017
use the tape and try . i had the same problem but after the tape it worked

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Does the heartbeat LED blink (around 1 per second, green)? If not, then the firmware didn't start the on-board CPU. Does it show up in pciconf / lspci / whatever utility your system uses to display PCI IDs?
I was trying the FDOS USB boot and none of the above LSI tools could see the card. No heartbeat LED. I just booted with CentOS live USB and it was not listed under lspci either.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I was trying the FDOS USB boot and none of the above LSI tools could see the card. No heartbeat LED. I just booted with CentOS live USB and it was not listed under lspci either.
Unless megarec has some secret way of finding it, it sure sounds like a dud. Try taping over the SMBus pins. Normally a problem there causes motherboard problems, not card problems, but anything is possible.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
@Terry Kennedy - Thank for the insight. I suspected it was a dud since I didn't see the heartbeat LED. @fnurr I gave the tape also a try without without much success (Othe rthan the motherboard not complaining/disabling on one of the DIMMs - the symptom was documented else where).
I was hoping someone has tips / tested the SW_RST1 or J_TEST1 or JTAG on H310 like the post I linked for H200 earlier. Mainly for my learning exercise.

fnurr

Jan 24, 2017
ops sorry for my bad english . it worked with tape but i flashed it on an z77 mobo instead of the server it was going to.
first i tried to do it with GA-Z77X-UD5H did not work at all
then i tried an asrock z77 pro4 and it worked .
so if u can try different motherboard and tape :)

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Here is the link to the winbond flash chip doc (on my H310 card.) One of these days I'll give a try to reset using Pin 14 and ground and post my results.

http://www.winbond.com/resource-files/w29gl128c_revh v3.0.pdf?__locale=en

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
That will only result in the device (Flash Memory) resetting to read mode, as if it had just been power cycled. It will not erase the device/ card firmware. Be careful that pin 14 on that device is not directly connected to the system reset, or unexpected things might happen. Also, and I'm really only just guessing here, there may also be boot code/ Hardware ID's etc in there, that once erased, cannot not replaced by a standard firmware update. If you really think the Flash Memory is corrupted, your best bet would be a straight binary copy of a working one, even then, the device may have some corrupted data located in secured sectors that you can't overwrite anyway making the whole exercise futile :)

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
@pricklypunter - thanks for the insight.
I wouldn't know how to do a binary upload. I can export FW etc from a working card. But as I mentioned earlier, none of the LSI tools as well as lspci detect the card. My goal is to see if make Megarec to see the card so I can put Dell 6gbsas.fw. Don't have much hope or time to fiddle with it for now. When I do, I have an old Dell lga775 desktop for these kind of tasks.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

SCS

Feb 16, 2017
@pricklypunter - thanks for the insight.
I wouldn't know how to do a binary upload. I can export FW etc from a working card. But as I mentioned earlier, none of the LSI tools as well as lspci detect the card. My goal is to see if make Megarec to see the card so I can put Dell 6gbsas.fw. Don't have much hope or time to fiddle with it for now. When I do, I have an old Dell lga775 desktop for these kind of tasks.

Did you get anywhere with this as I've been having issues with my H310 not allowing me to write IT firmware over IR firmware. Curious if a direct FW write would help solve the issue here.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
You might need to use flashing tools from an earlier version to be able to override the error messages, if I remember they done away with that ability in some of the later versions :)

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
@SCS
Can megarec see your card? If so it can be flashed.

Mine was not seen by any of the tools. It was a DOA. I've flashed another card fine afterward.
If you are going from IR to IT, first do a cleanflash with megarec or sas2flash -o -e 6
2. use the older version of sas2flash (<P13) for initial 6GBPSAS.FW.
3. Flash P7 version of 2118IT.BIN with sas2flash p7
4.Flash P20.07 with sas2flash p20

I'm sure you have seen the instructions on these forums or on TechMattr's blog.

Last edited: