H12SSL-CT Another Supermicro No Post. Code 22

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ForceX

Jul 9, 2022
MB : (New) Supermicro H12SSL-CT-B v1.02
CPU : (New) Epyc 7282
Ram : (New) NEMIX MR25600-628 16GB PC4-3200 2Rx8 RDIMM ECC (Eight Sticks)
PSU : Corsair AX1500i
CASE : Roswell RSV-L4500U

Problem:
This is a new build. System does not post & no VGA or dedicated video output or iKVM display. IPMI Post Snooping shows code 22.

Apparent State Of The System:
1. IPMI Shows the wrong CPU & RAM (Probably hardware from previous certification testing?)
2. Heartbeat LED (LEDM1) is normal & Power OK LED (LE1) is solid green (When system is powered on, off when system is powered off) however IPMI Component Info has the power supply greyed out.

Tried:
1. Removing battery and Clear CMOS
2. Successfully updated IPMI to 1.1.6.
3. Semi-Successfully updated BIOS to 2.4 from 2.3. However IPMI still shows v2.3 because system will not boot to the bios.
4. Reset IPMI to factory defaults
5. Installing 1 stick of RAM in slot C1
*6. Installing 1 stick of UDIMM nonECC 32gb RAM in slot C1 (Gave Post Snooping Code 4b)
7. Reinstalling the CPU

Last edited:

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
however IPMI Component Info has the power supply greyed out.
yep, because the corsair psu doesn't have a 5 pin cable for supermicros ps smbus/i2c (also corsair doesn't have documentation about the pin definitions)
MB : (New) Supermicro H12SSL-CT-B v1.02
CPU : (New) Epyc 7282
Ram : (New) NEMIX MR25600-628 16GB PC4-3200 2Rx8 RDIMM ECC (Eight Sticks)
PSU : Corsair AX1500i

Tried:
1. Removing battery and Clear CMOS
2. Successfully updated IPMI to 1.1.6.
3. Semi-Successfully updated BIOS to 2.4 from 2.3. However IPMI still shows v2.3 because system will not boot to the bios.
4. Reset IPMI to factory defaults
5. Installing 1 stick of RAM in slot C1
*6. Installing 1 stick of UDIMM nonECC 32gb RAM in slot C1 (Gave Post Snooping Code 4b)
7. Reinstalling the CPU
I don't see anything about the chassis?
Do you have another chassis that you could try?
Are all the front panel cables connected properly? I had some problems in the past when some frontpanel cables had positive and ground switched...
1. IPMI Shows the wrong CPU & RAM (Probably hardware from previous certification testing?)
All my supermicro boards had no information tthere when I got them?! Including my currently used h12ssl-i :D

ForceX

Jul 9, 2022
any chance to get a well known memory stick ? (samsung/micron/hynix)
I'm currently looking at this. I'll have to order something. Looking at Micron as this is what was used in the board according to the IPMI.

ForceX

Jul 9, 2022
I don't see anything about the chassis?
Do you have another chassis that you could try?
Are all the front panel cables connected properly? I had some problems in the past when some frontpanel cables had positive and ground switched...
Chassis is a Roswell RSV-L4500U. Front panel connectors are connected, power button / reset work. power button blinks green with power self test when connecting the power to the PSU.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Are you testing outside of the case? On a flat piece of something non-conductive? With just the bare minimum plugged into it?

ForceX

Jul 9, 2022
Are you testing outside of the case? On a flat piece of something non-conductive? With just the bare minimum plugged into it?
The motherboard is in the case with only the CPU and 1 stick of memory in slot C1 & the front panel buttons connected.

Edit:
I have removed the Front panel LED indicators

Last edited:

kere

Jul 8, 2022
@ForceX, mine is the other recent post on here but with the H11SSL-i with no VGA.

Mine now POSTs. It was the RAM.

My knowledge is limited, as this was my first build, but I wanted to share some of my learnings as it may help.

- Did all tests outside the chassis once I knew that could be an issue (block of wood).
- Checked all the jumpers and double-checked the VGA jumper pins.
- Switched jumpers to rule out faulty ones / bad connections.
- Cleaned the CPU and checked every pin on the socket.
- Did the tests below the required SP3 torque settings. Only one tool. Tried to rule out over/under-tightening.
- Powered off after each test from the IPMI so I could trigger power on from within IPMI.
- As soon as I hit power-on in the IPMI I kept refreshing Post snooping.
- That enabled me to see multiple Postcodes prior to the final one where it got stuck.
- My codes pointed to either the CPU memory controller or the RAM itself.
- Mine was the RAM. I ordered the exact same RAM from the last successful POST in the IPMI.

Please take the above as my notes only. I have N=1 experience.