Guidance needed setting up Intel S2600G motherboard (Custom Build)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Michael1970

Jul 9, 2016
Hi,

I bought an Intel S2600G motherboard off ebay cheap with the intention of setting this up in a non-intel case. I didn't realize how difficult this would be!. I have a custom ATX case and the correct power supply, however I am not sure how and if the 2 sockets next to the CPU's need to be powered? Can i feed off the main power supply for this, or perhaps the HSBP socket? I have fitted 2 freezer i11 CPU fans, so need to power these as well. I was considering adapting a regular ATX 750 watts power supply to fit, then i purchased the correct Intel version, now i am wondering if I would have been better off with the first idea? I have seen one of the threads discussing the need to flash the bios to a custom version, so i think i should be ok on that side. The system is only going to be used as an ESXi test server at home with a single SSD attached to one of the SATA ports, so i don't need to connect any additional riser boards, etc.

Can anyone offer any advice on this?

Thanks

Mike

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
You need a PSU that supports powering both 8-pin CPU power headers. If you are not using the Intel chassis, you should use a standard ATX PSU to run the build.

I use an EVGA Supernova G2 750 watt. It has (2) 8-pin CPU power plugs. There are other brands like Seasonic that also support this same configuration. Look on the builds section of the forums for what others have used.

In regards to powering your CPU heatsink fans; you need to run those off the two designated 4-pin CPU headers that are on the motherboard. This will allow the board to control the fan speed.

Last edited: