Graphics card passthrough with ESXi

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Brendan

Feb 3, 2011
Hi, I love the site and I've got an article idea: the current state of graphics card passthrough with ESXi.
I'm planning to build a ESXi storage server with a Xeon E3, and I'd like to run a MythTV frontend on it if possible. This would hopefully be an NVIDIA card passed through to a Linux guest.

There is a thread on VMware communities with some success stories for Radeon cards on Windows, but I haven't been able to find solid info about Linux or NVIDIA cards.

The possibilities are really cool: with a USB controller and HDMI-equipped video card passed through to a guest OS, you could have a native-feeling workstation sharing a server with VMs.

Update: Also, found someone who had success with a PCI (not PCIe) 8400GS on ESXi with a W7 guest

Last edited:

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
I was not able to get a 9800GT to work with Win2k8R2. I also read someone had with luck using ATI and the P6X58D-E so I will try it on my main desktop, hopefully soon.