Graphics card for X10SRA - PCIe x1 (in x4) - not x16 slot

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So I recently got a bunch of X10SRA's and did not realize those don't have IPMI.
I though, no problem, I have a remote console switch (dusty nowadays but still working) - only those boards don't have built in graphics card either ...

So o/c I could use one of the x16 slots to add a graphics card but that kind of defeats the purpose of having x16 capable boards if I have to use one slot of the 3/4 for a graphics card.

So I thought about getting a x1 graphics card... found some and wonder now why they exist at all /what their negative is...
All of them usually come with x16 connectors (maybe except the Matrox)... so will they work with x1 too? Not that I am complaining but I am wondering.

Also - any other cards that can be recommended? I have 2 PCIe2.0 x4 slots (x1 wired) and basically just need basic IPMI like display capabilities (VGA preferred)

Thx.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Thanks. Not too many available and most in the same range as the ones I found ~20-30 (usually depends on whether cables are included or not)

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
so will they work with x1 too?
"it depends"
x16 slots can provide up to 75watt in the slot while the others are limited to 25watt (per pcie specification, some mainboards have settings in bios/uefi that allow the slots to draw more power). If the gpu doesn't need more than that or gets power directly from the psu than it should work in the x1 slot.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Ah good point, did not think off that, only considered bandwidth.

So the question is why the same card is available as PCIe x1 and x16 card with same name ie 8400 GS and whether there are functional differences ( relevant to my use case)

Thanks

Edit:
Looks like those are custom made HP cards. I think I'll give it a try.

Last edited: