GPU Passthrough - ESXi 6.7.0 - AMD and NVIDIA

Discussion in 'VMware, VirtualBox, Citrix' started by Mark Linton, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Mark Linton

Mark Linton New Member

Ok confusion abounds when trying to get GPU pass-through to work in a combination of host/guest configs, maybe we can try to simplify things as there is a lot going on. Maybe a few questions with people's experience will help everyone and try to document my experiments along the way.

Different people have different goals with regards to using a GPU with vmware, but in my case it is to try to expose opencl hardware and acceleration to a linux guest. The following are my settings that are working for an NVIDIA card on xeon CPU/MB platform.

Hardware Questions / Info:
    - CPU and Motherboard Support
    Intel
    CPU - Xeon E5-2680v1
    Motherboard - GA7-PESH2​
    - GPUs
    - NVIDIA (consumer)
    - GTX 970 SSC
    Software Questions / Info:
    - Host Platform
    ESXi 6.7.0 (Build 10176752) (vCenter)
    - Host (click on host name)
    - Configure
    - Hardware
    - PCI Devices
    - DirectPath I/O PCI Devices Available to VMs
    - Should show both the graphics card and audio devices with status as "Available"​
    - Graphics
    - Graphics Devices
    - Shows the GPU with Active Type "Direct" and Configured Type "Shared Direct"
    - VMs associated with the graphics device
    - Shows the VM names with the GPU added to the Guest config.​
    - Host Graphics
    - Edit Host Graphics Settings
    - Default Graphics Type - Shared Direct
    - Shared passthrough GPU assignment policy - Spread VMs across GPUs (best performance)​

- VM Guest Settings (select VM to add the passthrough device with the VM powered off)
    - Click Actions - Edit Settings
    - Click "Add New Device"
    - Select PCI Device and it should automatically add the GPU to the list​
    - Click on Edit Settings
    - Select Advanced
    - Click "Edit Configuration"
    - Add two entries
    1. svga.present FALSE
    2. hypervisor.cpuid.v0 FALSE
    - Power-on the guest
    - Linux Guest Operating System (4.18.0-3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.18.20-2 (2018-11-23) x86_64 GNU/Linux)
    - "lspci -v -s 13:00.0" (device slot ID) command shows the PCI device and kernel driver and modules associated
    - Guest Drivers
    - NVIDIA
    - kernel driver - nvidia
    - Kernal modules - nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia​