Got given an IBM SAS raid card with 1.8Gb write cache, what can I do with it?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sparesim

Oct 12, 2015
I am given this raid card by a friend a while ago, apparently it is some amazing tech with huge cache. It's an IBM 3-port raid card, exactly this one:

IBM 00E5902 SAS 6GB 3-PORT PCIE2 1.8G

I can see it's very expensive so I'd like to put it to use instead sitting in my drawer. But I have no idea what sort of driver/setup I need to get it going. Anyone can shine some light on this?

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I can see it's very expensive so I'd like to put it to use instead sitting in my drawer. But I have no idea what sort of driver/setup I need to get it going. Anyone can shine some light on this?
I think it is a FC 5913 card. According to that page, "The adapter must be installed in pairs and must be used in a high availability, multi-initiator RAID configuration with two adapters in dual-controller mode (Dual Storage IOA configuration)."

If that is the card, the only reference I can find for it is in POWER7/8 systems. There seems to be a Linux driver, but I don't know if it is included in Linux or if you need to download it from the (support contract required) IBM site.