Good 2.5" JBOD Chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bionicbeagle

Nov 30, 2012
Stockholm
www.bionicbeagle.com
So I recently got my hands on a bunch (ok - 100pcs!) of VelociRaptor disks that I want to put to good use.

Since I don't care about warranty, I can strip these from the WD Ice Packs and use them as 2.5" disks.

I've been looking around ebay and elsewhere to see if I could find some good 2.5" JBOD enclosure, but alas nothing really feels 100% right. The closest I got is the HP MSA70 but based on some threads here I'm not sure that's really what I want.

If I can't find anything I'll probably build my own from my Lian Li A77 and some 4x2.5 in 1x5.25 units, but I'd really prefer if I could get something better than that, I especially would like to have SES2 support for drive location.

Ideally, I'd like a shallow 19" chassis since I don't want/need to put any CPU/motherboard in there, just an additional expander at most. I.e something like the Rackable SE3016 but for 2.5" drives would be ideal. It's probably not critical that it's really quiet since I'm not planning to have it on 24/7 but it would be a bonus if it was. Also, I don't need anything fancy -- i.e no redundant PSU or redundant SAS or anything like that.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I found this on Amazon, which could be interesting if a bit pricey since it's only 8x2.5:

Last edited:

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
For 100 drives you would surely want something like this ?

Click piccy for link

88x drives all snug as a bug in this metal rug
spare 12x drives you keep as door stops around the house.

bionicbeagle

Nov 30, 2012
Stockholm
www.bionicbeagle.com
Heh, yeah I've seen that and it would be super nice but it's probably more than what I would want to spend, unless they pop up on ebay.

I should clarify that I don't really need to use all disks at once. Around 16-25 at a time would do just fine.

At first glance I thought the Sans Digital enclosure had an expander and passthrough but alas, the 2xMiniSAS connectors are obviously just straight inputs for the 8xdrives.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
The Supermicro 24 bay unit in the great deals thread would work fine althout you would need tray adapters for the 2.5" drive or leave the ice packs on.

The MDS600 is still on EBay for US$550, takes 70 drives but again is 3.5" so keep the icepacks on. Best to check it comes with drive sleds as well as 70* $?? could add up :D.

Apart from that it is stuff like the Supermicro unit above or the MSA70 or a DL180 G2 with 24 drive bays etc.

RB