Gigabyte MZ33-AR0 for EYPC 9004 processor: No video output

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JonJonY

Jul 4, 2023
Hi folks

Hope I can picked your brains and experience, with re to Gigabyte MZ33-AR0 for AMD EYPC 9654 processor. Am new to setting up a server.

Just purchased a new Gigabyte MZ33-AR0 server mb and installed the following:

a.) AMD EYPC 9654 processor

b.) Memory 512 GB - Crucial MTC20F1045S1RC48BR, 32GB x16

c.) 2TB NVME on motherboard

d.) Nvidia RTX 6000 on slot 1 using a riser cable (LINKUP - Ultra PCIe 4.0 X16 Riser Cable)

Problem:

1.) Checked all connections, looked fine.

2.) On power up, there is no display on monitors via RTX 6000 GPU

Attached video takenhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1onC9k9KRjulk1XFNL3-HLG-TDCAVND9_/view?usp=sharing

Noticed:1.) BMC LED is blinking twice then pause, then repeats blinking twice again Solution (??):May you advise how to get at least some display showing on screen as Windows 2022 has not been installed yet?

Steps taken:

i.) Removed GPU card and only 64GB memory - two sticks of 32GB

ii.) Removed NVME 2TB

iii.) Connected a VGA to HDMI cable to MZ33-AR0, still no video output

From Gigabyte manual, the video op is by default set to onboard video, thus step (iii). MZ33-AR0 (rev. 1.0) | Server Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

Not entirely sure where I can go from here? I read some discussing accessing via BMC, a noob question - how do I perform this task to see if the hardware setup is alive and working at all.

JonJonY

Jul 4, 2023
Thanks RolloZ170.

As the motherboard was newly purchased with no OS installed, I presume BMC status control via another pc - say a workstation, is possible and viable? Assuming BMC is a separate entity from Windows OS, eg like an enhanced BIOS for server?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
iii.) Connected a VGA to HDMI cable to MZ33-AR0, still no video output
you will see nothing in POST for a long time, can be take 2 minutes and more, depends on the amount of memory installed.
always try without PCIe GPU first.

make sure you don't have any motherboard standoffs forgotten which short-cicuit the motherboards copper wires.

Reactions: JonJonY

JonJonY

Jul 4, 2023
Good to know BMC looks normal for a start.

MB standoffs - all cleared, had checked umpteen times before installing server motherboard :)

Am re-assembling old workstation back into one piece to test BMC link control later this evening - fingers crossed......surprised such a fundamental stuff is already causing headaches.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
--
a.) AMD EYPC 9654 processor
known working ?
which cooler if any ?

some parts info missing:
PSU server style with 3x EPS ?
have you ever installed SP3/SP5 CPU ?
used torque screwdriver ?

Last edited:

JonJonY

Jul 4, 2023
Hi Rolloz170

I managed to get into BMC and gathered hardware configuration!!! Thanks for your help.

The next problem I have is not being able to set the Video Output to External device (ie PCIE GPU). Each time I changed the Onboard Device to External device - tried to saved changes + reboot via BMC. The BIOS does not seems to be changed.

Noticed the Save Changes is "Grey" in colour within BMC web page. Not sure if it actually writes to BIOS at all

Was wondering if you may have any suggestion?

Attachments

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Noticed the Save Changes is "Grey" in colour within BMC web page. Not sure if it actually writes to BIOS at all
this does not work at this state.

check if you have any POST snoop'ing function, or Port80 code viewer

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
you have to use the BMC's VGA port.
its possible your VGA 2 HDMI device is not working.
try to get a monitor with real analog VGA input, because so many incompatibilities with PCIe GPU and PCIe 5.0 and OpROM and and and....

JonJonY

Jul 4, 2023
will look through "POST snoop'ing function, or Port80 code viewer" though first glance through none available.

Agree that is quite a number of incompatibilities but the next nearest I have is only DVI and HDMI........

Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated!

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
check if you can view the Host's screen in the BMC-WebGUI
unfortunaly the gigabyte PDF is not up to date

JonJonY

Jul 4, 2023
The pdf manual is indeed not up to date.

No signal from the VGA, as attached.

I came across earlier on this evening, a youtuber video about MZ32-AR0 (predecessor pf MZ33-AR0), though am not able to emulate the video's result on MZ33-AR0 mb.

Will get a VGA to VGA cable as I just found an old monitor still with VGA on it - will try tomorrow the cable arrives.

Though at this stage, not having too much faith in MZ33-AR0..........expensive kit but a little brick at the moment still. All's not lost as yet, at least BMC connection shows the hardware is alive but just about....lol

Attachments

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Will get a VGA to VGA cable as I just found an old monitor still with VGA on it - will try tomorrow the cable arrives.
have you found the Remote Control -> H5Viewer ?
you should see the VGAs output there (Chrome, IE11 and up)

JonJonY

Jul 4, 2023
Yep was at the H5Viewer around 20mins ago, no signal from VGA. Will get a VGA to VGA cable and see if it works tomorrow when it arrives. Will let you know and update you :) Thanks matey, greatly appreciated.

Reactions: RolloZ170

JonJonY

Jul 4, 2023
Talking about CPU and memories:

CPU - quite strange, I purchased an AMD from a IT firm with Product ID stamp 100-000000789 on the chip itself but BMC detected it as an engineering sample as 100-000000894-004 instead. Not sure if it is due to the BIOS firmware not being updated? I can't update BIOS atm as there is no video out, so a bit of a limbo.

Memory - originally installed 512GB, but removed all 32GB and leaving only 2 sticks in there. But BMC showing I have 384GB, quite strange too.

Attachments