Gigabyte MF51-ES0 for an SSD NAS?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Alexdi

Dec 7, 2012
I'm considering this board for an nVME-based NAS. The appeal is that it has built-in dual 10Gbe, remote management, a bucket of PCIe lanes that I hope can be bifurcated, and it's relatively inexpensive. I'm also considering ASRock X570D4U-2L2T and B550D4U-2T, both of which have bifurcation, PCIe 4.0, and potentially lower power draw and better single-core performance than the Intel platform, though cost more and would support maybe 6 SSDs in total.

Does anyone have experience, positive or negative, with the Gigabyte board?

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
Wouldn't be my first choice but, they seem to be making better boards these days. My issue is how they divide slots/lanes.

For the 6*drives though it depends on how much capacity you're talking about and whether or not you use M2 or U.x. I started off last year with the same intent and went with a MOBO that could hold at least 5 M2 drives 1 OS / 4 Raid and then switched gears to U drives instead because you can get double the capacity for half the price. Instead of using 4*4TB M2 drives ($800) I went with a single 15.36TB U.3 ($950) and don't have to deal with Raid anymore. I had been running spinners in R10 for a few years and just wanted to get more speed, less physical space needed, lighter weight, and some other ideas. The 2.5" NVME U.3 though weighs a few ounces vs the ~12# of spinners. The U drive of course could be a single point of failure but, since it's a bit more stringent as designed for Enterprise / DC use it should hold up just fine. However, I stated with some Micron versions that both took a crap and lost their partition tables within a couple of hours for one and less than a week on the other. I switched to Kioxia though and haven't had an issue since install (~6mo). Another thing is Micron's tend to run hot where the Kioxia in my case just sits around 40C.

I rebuilt from an Intel setup to AMD though as well. I'm just using an X670E board / 7900X / 32GB. If I were to want to run multiple U drive I would get a quad M2 adapter card / 4*M2 oculink adapters / 4*cables. The 2 additional drives would have to be used with the M2 sockets on the board and 2 of them would work at Gen4+ speeds with the 3rd being Gen3.

Alexdi

Dec 7, 2012
I think we're on parallel paths. My current setup is a X9SCM with 6x6TB in RAID-6 on an LSI 9361, fronted by PrimoCache with a 970 Pro.

When it works, it's fast, though hotter and noisier than I'd like. But I'm tired of troubleshooting drive failures and sense errors and multi-day rebuild times. The RAID exists for speed, reliability, and to have a single partition. Separate U.2 drives strike me as better at the first two and I don't care about the last enough to stomach the complication it introduces.

The new plan is to start with a single 15.36TB U.2 that gets a nightly backup to a 16TB hard drive. After I wrote this post, I realized I didn't really need the extra lanes of the Gigabyte board.

I'm not aware of any X670E boards with remote management. That's a mandatory feature for me. Do you know any of anything preferable to that AsRock X570?

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
I'm not aware of any X670E boards with remote management. That's a mandatory feature for me. Do you know any of anything preferable to that AsRock X570?
Remote management as in ILO / IPMI? I don't bother with that sort of thing and just SSH into the box. If it requires a hands on approach it's easily accessed. There are some "console" boxes you could probably get for remote KVM control.

The board I went with is an ASR but it's the PG Lightning. The issue I had when looking a boards is the crappy splits the other OEMs made with the slots. Plus, I got the board used on Amazon aka return for $160. I figured out the reason they were selling so cheap though was the AGESA BS that AMD uses causes gremlins in how things operate. It took trying a few versions before solving the issues that crept up.

single 15.36TB U.2 that gets a nightly backup to a 16TB hard drive
KISS. Make life simple. I don't bother with backups though. After running the raid for 5+ years w/o issues... I have dual M2's in my laptop for redundancy though and the file server aspect is just to put it where the bandwidth is located both LAN/WAN as it's the router. I only really dove into Raid as something to do rather than a need but, having the space lead to hoarding of data because if you have the space you tend to see it as a challenge to fill it up.