Gigabyte MC62-G40 - No Video Output

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tinymotel

Jan 30, 2024
Hoping someone here can be of some assistance with this new build I'm working on. So two issues really... First is, I'm unable to get any video output from my GPU via HDMI (RTX 3090). I've tried a few different gpu's I have here, tried different PCIe slots, checked the cables etc but nothing seems to help. I am able to get into BIOS just fine via MegaRAC SP-X Remote connection and my CPU and RAM checks out there. I've tried switching the graphic output configuration in BIOS to "external", but no luck.

The second issue is I can't get into the Windows Installation installer (or at least can't see it via the remote connection through MegaRAC if it's working). I am able to boot into the Windows 10pro installer from the USB media, it opens the DOS looking screen to select which version of the OS to setup (64bit or 32bit) and a memory tool option at the bottom. I select the 64bit option, it goes to the next screen "Loading Files", then just a white Gigabyte logo pops up on a black background which stays there indefinitely.

I've scrounged through all my hoards of "misc. cable boxes" but I can't seem to find a VGA cable tonight to test the onboard VGA output. SO maybe I just need to get one tomorrow. But I wasn't sure if maybe BMC was somehow bypassing the external GPU and only outputs via the internal / VGA output and perhaps I'm missing a setting to change that somewhere?

System Specs:
Gigabyte MC62-G40 Motherboard
AMD 5955wx
512GB RAM
RTX 3090
Corsair HX 1500i
m.2 Samsung 980 pro

Thanks so much for any help!

nexox

May 3, 2023
When the Gigabyte logo shows up on the remote video have you checked to see if the discreet GPU starts displaying the installer? Sounds like it's loading a driver and picking the external GPU at that point, you could confirm by trying that step with the 3090 removed. Do you have the BIOS set to load the boot ROM (or whatever the UEFI name for that is) from the slot the GPU is connected to?

Have you confirmed that the 3090/cable/monitor combo all work as expected in another system? I don't have any experience with Gigabyte boards, but usually when you select "prefer external GPU" in the BIOS then you can't access any video remotely or on VGA until the OS loads full drivers and possibly displays something on that output. Since you're still getting video remotely then either Gigabyte works differently or it's just not detecting your 3090.

tinymotel

Jan 30, 2024
Hey, thanks for the reply.

Just tried booting to / running the Windows installer without a GPU installed + switching the BIOS back to the discreet GPU and sadly it's doing the same white Gigabyte logo on black background screen after the installer loads files. It does seem like it has loaded the installation app, but perhaps I just can't see it through H5Viewer. Once that Gigabyte logo loads it'll stay there indefinitely until I restart.

I've also tried with a 4090 and 1080ti both pulled from other working systems here in the studio, and still no video output to a monitor yet.

I've built a number of workstations, but this is my first server board I've worked with. I always assume some kind of user error on my part, but maybe I just need to pickup a VGA cable tomorrow.

Appreciate the help here!

Reactions: nexox

tinymotel

Jan 30, 2024
Alright so update. I now have video output via the discreet GPU on the motherboard. However, I still can't get into the Windows Installer app.

I am able to still boot up from the Windows Installer USB (checked the USB installer media on another computer and it works ok). Once it loads up the USB media I get this screen:
Screenshot 2024-01-31 122839.jpg

Then it loads:
Screenshot 2024-01-31 122855.jpg

And then usually the Windows installer / select language screen comes up, but I just get this Gigabyte logo.
Screenshot 2024-01-31 122448.jpg

Any ideas?

tinymotel

Jan 30, 2024
Cool thank you! I'll give that a try. The USB I'm using is an official boxed version, so not one I've made myself but it is pretty old at this point.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
have seen on many reports they only see the windows screen on the VGA port first. so manage to get a real VGA monitor
or a working adapter (not all work)

tinymotel

Jan 30, 2024
Ok so for whatever reason it's still not liking booting from the USB into the windows installer. I ended up making a .iso of the windows installer and launching that virtually through Megarac and finally got Windows installed and we're up and running now!

Thanks for the help here!

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Ok so for whatever reason it's still not liking booting from the USB into the windows installer.
you pressed funktion key for Boot menu and choosed the UEFI-USB to boot ?
well that mostly don't work with gigabyte...sorry forgot to mention.
edit: after that i tried to set the USB first in BIOS Boot Menu and this gave me visible Win installation screen

Last edited:

tinymotel

Jan 30, 2024
Well at least glad to hear it’s a gigabyte specific problem and not something with this board!
Thanks for all the help. I’m all up and running now.