Getting started section

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I think this is a gap best filled with member contributed articles... When I finish carving on that round tuit I will publish that braswell nuc vs hp stream mini review... for htpc purposes.
I totally agree. I am leaning towards seeding a few pieces (5-10) then having people do how-to guides, reviews and etc and maintain them themselves.

Still working on it so I am not really pushing for user contributions in this format just yet. I hope that changes soon.

ASUDave

Nov 11, 2015
Sorry its been awhile since I've been back to this thread.

I have some experience in IT, but not a ton. When it comes to serving the home, I'm a complete newb. I understand that there are some great users, I just don't even know where to start to ask and I'm really not ready for most of the enterprise-grade discussions on this board.

In looking at the various categories on the forum page, I don't know where to even ask my questions. So, I'll take the opportunity here :) This what I want to do:

1) I want to separate my Plex Media Server from my main desktop. I have about 2TB of media currently, but I want to increase that with the use of couchpotato, et al. I'll have anywhere from 1 to 5 simultaneous streams and want the option for transcoding on the fly.
2) A personal cloud and backup service
3) Print server
4) a small web server
5) mail server?
6) a place for me to experiment, learn and, hopefully, utilize as I start my grad program in data analysis
7) expandable in the future
Only 1, 2, and 3 are absolutely necessary and cost definitely is an issue. I was looking at building my own, but recently, due to cost and time, have been looking at something like a TS140 with an Xeon E3-1225. My questions are: what would be a better road hardware-wise to take? What OS set up should I look at? I want to use Linux, but am pretty new to Linux.

Im guessing ASUDave is a nod to ASU, are you still in the valley?
Yes. I am an ASU grad and I'm still kicking it here in the Valley.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

Quasduco

Nov 16, 2015
Tennessee
I think a basic server will be a good place to start, it sounds like your going to virtualize

keep an eye out for the Dell T100, it's an affordable (and quiet) box that go from super basic to a hearty little home box.
The only Dell T100 I could find was ancient and junky... Is that a typo?

It is pretty easy to find an X8 Generation Supermicro board, cpu, memory and case for a couple hundred bucks...

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
3) Print server
Can I ask about this one? What is the use case? Newer printers tend to have a lot of this functionality built-in. I think my $180 Costco HP special even will scan and PDF multiple sheets to my PC right from the device.

Reactions: Biren78