Gea? Esxi 6.0u2 or 6.5?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Xfinity

May 21, 2012
Hi Gea!

I was wondering your thoughts about using ESXi version 6.0u2 or 6.5 in regards to napp-it. I think the windows client is so much faster/easier than using the web browser and thought about downgrading to 6.0u2 (I am a standard user).

Is there any performance gain or other gain in keeping 6.5 in regards to napp-it?

Thanks in advance!

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
The traditional Windows Vsphere client is a pain for beginners regarding usability but over years I found it easy and fast as well. The new 6.5 webclient is more consistent but you need time to find the options (mostly as not all are yet available). Its performance rely on the ESXi performance as it is based on a local ESXi webserver application while Vsphere depends only on Windows performance. Performancewise 6.5 may need more RAM due the extra resources needed for the webserver.

But in the end, Windows Vsphere is EoL. Sooner or later you must become a friend of the new console as the old Vsphere is only working partially with 6.5. What helps is if you additionally install the VMware Remote Console (available for Linux, OSX, Windows) within the webconsole when you click with the right mouse on the icon of the basic webconsole > Download Webconsole. You can then launch from there. It avoids all the keyboard character problems of the pure basic ESXi 6.5 webconsole.

Reactions: Xfinity

Xfinity

May 21, 2012
Thanks for the write-up @gea, gave me some ideas and peace of mind to stick with 6.5 and learn to accept the slowness ;).

yu130960

Sep 4, 2013
Canada
FWIW I couldn't give up the Windows Vsphere client yet and am not hearing of real benefits to deploying 6.5. Waiting until the host client gets all the options and functionality is also an option before going with 6.5

Reactions: T_Minus

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Mostly 6.0 vsphere works with 6.5.
I had problems with console view and file uploads