Gauging interest in a case with 13x 5.25" drive bays

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
i guess there would be for homelab storage; even so it would be very expensive project;

should have EEATX board compatibility, and potentially fan panel / maybe as addon (as most icy docks have their own fans)
1675679878587.png

and potentially a psu power breakout board. As there would be a lot of sata/molex power cables.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I think it would be interesting to have 20 hard drive case with space enough for passive cooling with a price under $50 . Asking too much?

• Haha
Reactions: T_Minus

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
After my experiences with supermicro towers and storage chassis I will not go back to big towers + hdd/ssd cages for workstations/servers.

Is that picture in the op how the chassis should look?

Reactions: T_Minus

BlueLineSwinger

Mar 11, 2013
Were it 15-20 years ago and I was into mass-pirating optical media, a case like this might be a great option. But I'm having trouble imaging a modern application where it would be worthwhile.

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
I'm wondering what the intended use case is. If the idea is to fill it up with ODDs, I think slim bays would make more sense since you'd have better density. If the use case is to put a bunch of drive cages in it, the problem is by the time you add up the price of all those cages, you've spent more than if you had just bought a secondhand server/workstation chassis and didn't even get backplane management or any of that.

What might make it a decent budget option would be to also sell some cheap non-hotswap bay converters, so that it becomes a cheap "lots of hard drives but I don't care about the bells and whistles" case.

Reactions: wifiholic

unwind-protect

Mar 7, 2016
Boston
I'm wondering what the intended use case is. If the idea is to fill it up with ODDs, I think slim bays would make more sense since you'd have better density. If the use case is to put a bunch of drive cages in it, the problem is by the time you add up the price of all those cages, you've spent more than if you had just bought a secondhand server/workstation chassis and didn't even get backplane management or any of that.
Well, a case like this with cages is much quieter than a proper rackmount server chassis, which usually also comes with low cross section PSUs.

My 810 has 3 pieces of 5-bay 3.5" cages, a 4k capable blu ray drive and a tape drive. I can keep it in my office as is.

Also, it holds EE-ATX mainboards.

Reactions: Spotswood

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I was keeping an antec 1200 case for this purpose. It has 12 5.25 bay so pretty close. It just doesn't worth for the effort other than power saving when I can get a netapp DS4243 for $100. Still keeping the case around for what if scenario but I don't see myself going through the effort.