Gaming in vmware Horizon

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

just_insane

May 31, 2016
Yea, I don't do much gaming, currently the desktop that the workstation card would go in is a hackintosh so... Mostly just looking to get rid of the desktop, since it's going on 5 years old at this point, and planning on moving to horizon for most of my windows tasks (which there aren't many at this point). There are some games (like PUBG) that I need a windows box with GPU for to play though. Mostly just looking at the available options, and it seems like a workstation card with a thin client would work decently. (I'm assuming the workstation card works during boot? If so, that would be even better).

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
well boot yes, bios only if called from windows menu - and then had usb issue last time iirc, but thats a setup problem i assume

just_insane

May 31, 2016
Well, sounds like I'd still be able to choose the disk to boot from, so I could probably still use it as a hackintosh if connecting to the card directly. Not bad.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Me? No, but considered it (when I found it after I had my setup done).
But I wondered - is it for Steam stuff only? Can @just_insane do work and I could do eg Origin games?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So just wanted to update / conclude this topic.

The easiest option I have found for a single box is using Teradici Workstation Card + Desktop GPU (designated phys win 10 box). The WkstCard is not integrated seamlessly (ie was not selectable via view connection server for me) so i used a dedicated thinclient (old p20) - no (perf) issues so quite usable.
Turning the phys box on and off was an additional task but not too bad due to remote controlled power plug.

I then managed to get a Grid K2 which o/c worked seamlessly, dedicated mode for best performance, max 2 VMs. Worked fine, but low gaming performance, lot of heat/noise. Not suited for me.

With the (relatively cheap) availability of Pascal based Quadro cards I have now moved to dedicated GPU passthrough of Quadro cards which also works seamlessly with Horizon. Not done with the final setup/layout but looks promising. O/C more expensive then the initial solution, but usable for more than just myself quite easily. Card(s) can also be reused for other tasks while no gaming session in progress.

Reactions: Tha_14

Boris

May 16, 2015
With the (relatively cheap) availability of Pascal based Quadro cards I have now moved to dedicated GPU passthrough of Quadro cards which also works seamlessly with Horizon.
Which model did you use?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I have not decided on a final model, I atm have P2000/4000 with me and an P6000 inbound.
See the pics for the prelimiary test, favouring the GTX due to the use of an i7 4790k over an 2667ES (4 vs 2.9 Ghz base clock).

Tested Models Grid K2 (first pic, unidentified model), P4000, GTX 1080 (non oc). Seem to have forgotten to take screens of the P2000.

grid_k2_firestrike_w7_2667_es.PNG gtx1080_firestrike_w10_4790k.PNG p4000_firestrike_w7_2667_es.PNG p4000_firestrike_w10_2667_es.PNG gtx1080_timespy_w10_4790k (Medium).PNG p4000_timespy_w10_2667_es (Medium).PNG

Attachments

Reactions: nk215 and Boris

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Got the p6000 in
Firestrike
p6000_firestrike_w10_2667_es (Medium).PNG

Timespy
p6000_timespy_w10_2667_es (Medium).PNG

P6000 is on equal footing with the GTX1080 on Timespy, but 20% less on Firestrike. O/C its apples to oranges due to CPUs but indicates that the p6000 will be ok for gaming... if you want to spend that amount of money;)

Reactions: nk215

XeonSam

Aug 23, 2018
This is awesome! I did the Horizon gig for playing games aswell.
Unfortunately, Starcraft2 doesn't work on a virtualized environment. Huge disappointment.

Reactions: Tha_14

sonic pancake

Oct 28, 2018
So just wanted to update / conclude this topic.

The easiest option I have found for a single box is using Teradici Workstation Card + Desktop GPU (designated phys win 10 box). The WkstCard is not integrated seamlessly (ie was not selectable via view connection server for me) so i used a dedicated thinclient (old p20) - no (perf) issues so quite usable.
Turning the phys box on and off was an additional task but not too bad due to remote controlled power plug.
The workstation card can be brokered by View so it will show up as a pool. You need to install the host software and then the Horizon agent. There's instructions on how to install it, you have to point it to the Horizon connection server so it registers as it's not controlled by vcenter.
In horizon, create a new manual pool from other sources.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I think I tried that, but it doesn't matter for me any more. But maybe someone else will find it useful:)