Fusion IO Dell Firmware replaced with Sandisk FW Card stuck at minimal Mode

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SenkanYamato

Jan 2, 2022
Hi there,
ive got some trouble with an Dell Fusion ioDrive.
It is the ioDrive2 duo 2,4 TB Variant.
The Firmware is Version 7.1.13. Its quite old but the Card itself runs fine.
My trouble starts with the FW update. It seems HP/Sandisk/IBM FW can`t be used directly and had to be modified.
I want to use the Dell Version. The http://dell.fusionio.com/ page no longer works. The page SanDisk Dell Support had no download.
When i access both with the waybackmachine i get some dropdowns for DL`s but the Files won`t show.
Testet this on 2 different PC`s and 3 browsers.
Had someone the latest Dell FW file or an alternative DL site?
I`ll take the latest modified file too, if someone had the changed one.
Thanks

SenkanYamato

Jan 2, 2022
Got an update on this one.
I tried to update the original Sandisk Firmware. I used this guide https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...o-iodrive-2-1-2tb-reference-page.11287/page-8 acquacow made.
The update self went fine. But now I am stuck at the same problem thalooka had in post 150. Drive is in minimal State.

Error: Unable to read midprom from device '/dev/fct0'.
Error: Unable to read midprom from device '/dev/fct1'.

fio-format, fio-detach and fio-sure-erase don`t work. The FW update doesn`t work either.
Some suggestion where made about updating the midprom or flash the OEM FW what leads me to the first post.
For the midprom i need the commands. For the FW I need a Dell file.

tx12

May 17, 2019
pls post dmesg lines related to fio driver load (dmesg | grep fio)

btw, why don’t you use the main Fusion io thread for this ?

tx12

May 17, 2019
If your card was all good before updating the firmware, it’s possible that the selection of original FW was done wrong (with incorrect model selected), so an access to midproms was lost. Need to see dmesg for details

SenkanYamato

Jan 2, 2022
The card worked before the update. Its a Dell 2410GB MLC ioDrive2 Duo. I downloaded the Sandisk FW for the ioDrive2 .
Maybe my jump with the FW versions was to far. Go from 7.1.13 to 7.1.17.
Done the same on an different HP card several weeks ago but it was with the original HP FW. No problems there.
The command is for linux. I am using Windows. Is it possible to gain the Information with Win? My knowledge with linux is very limited.

tx12

May 17, 2019
I’m not sure how the driver reports are made on Windows. Maybe you can catch some data in event viewer.
Do do have your original part numbers recorded (some dump from fio-status should have this info)? Can you post here your modifications made to INFO file?

SenkanYamato

Jan 2, 2022
Sorry for the late response but i had to address some other unpleasand Hardware Problems first.
Here the fio-status:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VSL Utils>fio-status -a

Found 2 ioMemory devices in this system
Driver version: 3.2.15 build 1699

fct0 Status unknown: Driver is in MINIMAL MODE:
Device is missing midprom data
SN:
!! ---> There are active errors or warnings on this device! Read below for details.
Powerloss protection: not available
PCI:86:00.0, Slot Number:118
Vendor:1aed, Device:2001, Sub vendor:1aed, Sub device:2001
Firmware v7.1.17, rev 116786 Public
Geometry and capacity information not available.
Format: not low-level formatted
PCIe slot available power: 25.00W
PCIe negotiated link: 4 lanes at 5.0 Gt/sec each, 2000.00 MBytes/sec total
Internal temperature: 51.19 degC, max 51.68 degC
Internal voltage: avg 1.01V, max 1.01V
Aux voltage: avg 2.48V, max 2.49V
Lifetime data volumes:
Physical bytes written: 0
Physical bytes read : 0
RAM usage:
Current: 0 bytes
Peak : 0 bytes

ACTIVE WARNINGS:
The ioMemory is currently running in a minimal state.

fct1 Status unknown: Driver is in MINIMAL MODE:
Device is missing midprom data
SN:
!! ---> There are active errors or warnings on this device! Read below for details.
Powerloss protection: not available
PCI:85:00.0, Slot Number:117
Vendor:1aed, Device:2001, Sub vendor:1aed, Sub device:2001
Firmware v7.1.17, rev 116786 Public
Geometry and capacity information not available.
Format: not low-level formatted
PCIe slot available power: 25.00W
PCIe negotiated link: 4 lanes at 5.0 Gt/sec each, 2000.00 MBytes/sec total
Internal temperature: 49.22 degC, max 49.22 degC
Internal voltage: avg 1.01V, max 1.02V
Aux voltage: avg 2.49V, max 2.49V
Lifetime data volumes:
Physical bytes written: 0
Physical bytes read : 0
RAM usage:
Current: 0 bytes
Peak : 0 bytes

ACTIVE WARNINGS:
The ioMemory is currently running in a minimal state.

I used this guide https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...1-2tb-reference-page.11287/page-8#post-216370
I think i messed up somewhere.

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
Someone was supposed to send me a drive with a fubar'd midprom at some point so that I could poke at it and see if I could figure out a process on the current drivers to recover it.

I currently don't have anything to help with this process other than dropping down to an earlier VSL and trying to push an older firmware.

See if you can get back to a working state that way first.

-- Dave

tx12

May 17, 2019
It’s possible what OP has the wrong firmware flashed by INFO modification and midprom data is still there but inaccessible. Flashing back to the right firmware should be possible, at least under Linux. Windows procedure would be much more obscure but may also work.

SenkanYamato

Jan 2, 2022
Well the modidified info file is gone. The problem i mentioned earlier was a dead ssd drive which contained the file. I "saved" the PA on a piece of paper during my upgrade attempt so here it is: PA004150002.
If the linux way is more usefull i`ll go this route. My knowledge is basic stuff at best. So some extra help may be needed.
The FW before the update was 7.1.13.

tx12

May 17, 2019
It could be dangerous, but you can try something like this:
Code:
fio-update-iodrive.exe fusion_3.2.16-20180821.fff -f -d /dev/fct0 -P PA004134003
and save or screenshot tool output.
It may end up with a failure first. If it fails after some significant waiting time and non-zero progress percents, reboot and try once again - it should work fine on the 2nd run.
If you'll finally success with reflashing fct0, repeat the same for /dev/fct1

I never tried that on Windows though.

tx12

May 17, 2019
Note what your FFF file may be "fusion_3.2.11-20150618.fff" or "fusion_3.2.16-20180821.fff" - actual firmware revision would be the same (only some unrelated uefi rom files are different between these versions). The latter file wasn't released for Windows, so you'll may only have the first one.

tx12

May 17, 2019
Unfortunately, without your modified info file it’s not possible to be sure what‘s gone wrong with your drive. My best guess is incorrect modification. If so, this command should help. But if the midprom data was really lost, it’s much worse. I know no easy fix for erased midprom.

SenkanYamato

Jan 2, 2022
I tried the update with the 3.2.11 on Win. Had to check if it could be done on Win. Here what happened:
I got the following error:

WARNING: YOU ARE ATTEMPTING TO FORCE A FIRMWARE VERSION DOWNGRADE - THIS MAY RESULT IN DATA LOSS
Do you wish to continue [y/n]? y
Updating: [===== ] ( 25%) \Unable to detect Controller AVR.
Updating: [====================] (100%)
Error: Firmware programming failure on device '/dev/fct14' [SMPCTRL, SMPADAPT].
WARNING: THIS DEVICE MAY BECOME INOPERABLE UNLESS THE
FIRMWARE IS SUCCESSFULLY UPDATED BEFORE THE NEXT REBOOT.

Please retry failed updates before rebooting.

The update on the second module fct15 worked fine.

WARNING: YOU ARE ATTEMPTING TO FORCE A FIRMWARE VERSION DOWNGRADE - THIS MAY RESULT IN DATA LOSS
Do you wish to continue [y/n]? y
Updating: [====================] (100%) |
/dev/fct15 - successfully updated the following:
Updated the firmware from 7.1.17 rev 116786 to 7.1.17 rev 116786
Updated CONTROLLER from 7.1.17.116786 to 7.1.17.116786
Installed SMPCTRL
Installed SMPADAPT

Please reboot this machine to activate new firmware.

After reboot the fct15 changed to fct14 and worked again. The new fct15 shows more information with fio-status but i got a new warning:
The ioMemory is missing a LEB map.
So i tried the update here. Seems to work. The LEB error is still there. How can this be solved?

tx12

May 17, 2019
So i tried the update here. Seems to work. The LEB error is still there. How can this be solved?
Was you finally able to re-flash both controllers successfully? If not, repeat flashing on the failed part. You need both parts to reflash successfully.

If you have other errors, be sure to post full fio-status -a output.