UK Full 10Gb 4xTMM vSAN setup - Lenovo P330 tiny based

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SeaneyC

Jan 27, 2023
Hi there, thanks for looking! New to the forums but been lurking around these parts for a long time. Patrick actually asked me to do a write up on these host but the last 2 years has been absolutely mental and I just never got around to doing it, which is a bit of a shame as I did have to do quite a lot of legwork to get all the items pulled together!

Looking to offload my Tiny Mini Micro 4x Lenovo P330 tiny based vSAN lab.

Each host comprises:

i7-8700t CPU
2x 32GB DIMMs
512GB NVMe storage
1TB Samsung 980 NVMe storage
HPE 560SFP+ dual port NIC
PSU

I also have 4x HDD headers with caddies to fit the Lenovo units.

Used as a vSphere 6.5/6.7/7.0 lab with no issues, everything runs super fast as you would expect and with a lovely tiny footprint! The hosts also support vPro so you can go remote management with something like Meshcommander which was brilliant for re-loading the base OS without having to hook any screens etc up to the hosts in addition to power management etc.

In addition to this I also have a Unifi US-16-XG switch and all SFP cables needed to get this all wired together. The switch is a board rev. 13 so none of the issues the older versions had being really picky with SFPs, the RJ45 ports being a bit dodge, or anything else.

Ideally i’d like this all to go as a single bundle, i’m asking for £2500 all in which is basically £550 per host and £300 for the switch in my mind. Price includes insured courier.

It’s a great setup and got me through a lot more learning than my lab at work which cost approximately 100x more!

Can post pics on request, any questions, let me know.

Reactions: Samir

SeaneyC

Jan 27, 2023
Will take some fresh pics tomorrow but will have a look and see if I have anything fromt he archives that I took at the time and get them up in a minute!

SeaneyC

Jan 27, 2023
Some pics :) Some external before and after and during the swap! All 4 hosts have the Lenovo bracket from the 4 port NIC card option now (my gosh were they a pain to source), unlike in the pics with a stack of 2 hosts where the bottom one is missing a bracket. Not perfect but a pretty tidy finish in my opinion.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: itronin and Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Wow, very nice! This is a very compact lab indeed! And probably was better on power, noise, and heat too. :)

Reactions: SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Jan 27, 2023
Yeh i was worried about not having any forced air cooling for the NICs but they never gave me any issues. I would recommend not just stacking like i did in the pic though, they do still get hot!

Stupidly i never measured the power but given the low power CPU i can’t imagine it being anywhere above 150w for the stack in normal usage. I mainly used it for standard infra work plus various small scale VDI stacks (large scale VDI is my day job) and I was going to set up some NSX-T on it but it’s not part of my job role and was going to eat up too much of my time to do it just for fun.

SeaneyC

Jan 27, 2023
Sorry, UK only for now. I have no idea how much it would cost to send to Canada but it wouldn’t be cheap!

• Wow