[FS] [US-MA] NetApp DS 4246 & DS 4243 Disk Shelves 24x4TB SAS (96TB Total)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SloppyDisk

Jul 18, 2023
[FS] [US-MA] NetApp DS 4246 & DS 4243 Disk Shelves 24x4TB SAS (96TB Total)

As the title states, looking to get rid of some of my extra NetApp Arrays.

Willing to sell disks & shelves seperately but would prefer to sell as one.

3x NetApp DS4246 Disk Shelves

DS4243 shelves will be added tomorrow. Thanks.

Each shelf has 24x Seagate Constellation ES.3 ST4000NM0063 in NetApp Caddys. All Disks have been wiped.

Will be posting my extra 2.5" SFF 2246 shelves in addition to these, sometime this week.

Thanks everyone, let me know if there are any questions, please reply to this thread before PMing me.

I'm not far from Boston MA or Providence RI.

Looking for $550 each Local Pickup (CASH) or $700 shipped (Most likely Paypal). These are fairly hefty, and even with my decent rates are gonna cost a fair amount to ship. Thanks. Can provide QSFP & Power Cables if desired or needed.

May be able to work on the shipping cost. I'm giving preference to local buyers for my own sake. (I hope you understand).signal-2023-10-25-155252_002.jpeg

Added a photo of the rear as requested, any more pictures you need, just ask. Happy to help.

signal-2023-10-23-160709.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
@SloppyDisk, Do you have extra IOM6 controllers? Are there any difference between 4246 and 4243?

I need to check my notes for empty power usage but they come roughly 10w per slot, especially for the attached drives which are not very power efficient. I think empty power usage was around 30watt.

Honestly, price is good if you need the 4tb drives but I still prefer to buy them empty for $150 each. Netapp ones are the best disk shelves out there, they run quiet and cold, works with any controller and drive. They are bulky and heavy but that's the price for being quiet and cool. I have 5 of them and still regret the 2 I sold.

SloppyDisk

Jul 18, 2023
@SloppyDisk, Do you have extra IOM6 controllers? Are there any difference between 4246 and 4243?

I need to check my notes for empty power usage but they come roughly 10w per slot, especially for the attached drives which are not very power efficient. I think empty power usage was around 30watt.

Honestly, price is good if you need the 4tb drives but I still prefer to buy them empty for $150 each. Netapp ones are the best disk shelves out there, they run quiet and cold, works with any controller and drive. They are bulky and heavy but that's the price for being quiet and cool. I have 5 of them and still regret the 2 I sold.
Let me look tommorow, I may have some. I know for sure I have some extra NetApp shelf controllers but can't remember what kind they are.

I would also consider selling just the drives, or just the trays if I can work out a buyer for both. ( I would bet I can, NetApp trays seem to be popular) I would do $180 Local, plus reasonable shipping for the shelf w/QSFP cable included. They're not beat up at all, and are actually in quite fantastic condition.

What I read about it:

"If it has an IOM6 inside, then yes, it's DS4246. The chassis is the same between DS4243 and DS4246, only the IOM is different (although some early chassis revisions were different and would not accept an IOM6 module, but as far as I know these are indistinguishable by any form of serial or p/n, only the backplane is different if you take a good look at it)"

Looks like there is some disparity between them, I'll pull one out tomorrow and try to not put out my back lol.

And yeah, the NetApp shelves seem to be some of the best compared to what's out there, at least in my experience screwing around with disk shelves. Those old EMC ones everyone has kinda suck, lol.

richard.dzavoronok

Jun 23, 2021
Anywhere near Springfield? Do you know the idle/active power draw for a shelf?
Empty DS4243 with 2 PSUs is drawing ~50W (depents on which version of PSU you have) idle. It also depends on how many IOMs and PSUs you have installed\plugged in. Minimum is 2 PSUs installed, for 24x SATA drives, but 1 plugged to the wall. Second PSU will only run for airflow.
More info here: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/experiences-with-netapp-ds4243.32898/#post-327635

SloppyDisk

Jul 18, 2023

I'd do $150 for an empty shelf, can probably get shipping cost way down because it should stay under the weight threshold.

SloppyDisk

Jul 18, 2023
Price Drop for Shipped! Shipping is $65 anywhere in the lower 48 USA to a normal address. Multiples will be shipped freight.

Local Pickup Price Drop! $500 Cash Money$$$ Hand Over 5 Benjis and It's yours to keep. I keep the Benjis though. Free QSFP Cable included in all orders.

$245 + 50 shipping for Empty DS4243/4246 Disk Shelves. WITH TRAYS!

I have since investigated further and discovered that ALL of the 4243s I have use the IOM6 controller and have been upgraded to DS4246 Specs, DUAL PSUs and DUAL 6Gb/s controllers.