FS: Rare Intel Xeon v2 + Altera Stratix V FPGA 2U "HARP" server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kiteboarder

May 10, 2016
Hi friends,

Last year I bought this system from someone who didn't know what he had. It's an Intel 2U server that has an Altera Stratix V FPGA in socket #2 and a standard Xeon E5-2680 v2 in socket #1. Intel referred to these as "HARP" - heterogeneous architecture platform. I never got around to experimenting with it.

Machine also includes:
R2208GZ4GC 2U Intel server
96 GB REG ECC RAM (12 x 8GB on CPU1; supposedly can add more RAM to the FPGA's slots)
dual 750W P/S
Crucial MX300 SSD in a DVD drive caddy; Server2016 standard installed
Mellanox ConnectX-3 dual 10Gb AIC
Mellanox ConnectX-3 single port QSFP (40Gb eth / 56Gb IB) MB daughter card
Quad 1Gb RJ45 ethernet
Remote management module, dedicated RJ45 eth port
The MB SATA/SAS "key" to enable all 8 2.5" drives
Intel "premium" sliding rails (worth every penny!)
The Altera USB "blaster" that programs the FPGA
Full disclosure: The server doesn't come with the internal fan shroud that normally goes in these machines. The shroud won't fit over the FPGA module. Server runs fine without it. Expect standard case scratches from going in/out of racks.

I'm willing to take $2k shipped right now, but I'm assuming this price is going to go down / open to offers, but I'm not giving it away. Any thoughts on what this system is worth?

I'm willing to sell the FPGA module alone if someone's interested. $1k? Again, make an offer!

Located in US - northeast Georgia. I would prefer paypal for payment. Happy to answer any questions I can, but sorry I do not know much about the FPGA itself or its usage.

Thanks for reading!

More info:
https://cpufpga.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/harp_isca_2016_final.pdf

FPGA_module.PNG

s-l1600_2.jpg s-l1600.jpg
block_diagram.PNG

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Siddq

Aaron J. Grier

Oct 10, 2018
Portland, OR
(I worked at Intel on this project, and wrote the UEFI modifications necessary to support this FPGA module. I speak on my own behalf with knowledge from my employer, but not on my employer's behalf.)

The FPGA module only works in Grizzly Pass or Canoe Pass with a customized UEFI, so isn't useful on its own. The IP in the FPGA includes a QPI interface, and IIRC requires a license agreement with Intel and Quartus patches to instantiate.

These are the direct ancestor of what turned into the Xeon 6138P, and live on in PAC and ADP boards supported by Intel Open FPGA Stack (OFS).

It would be an interesting (and technically feasible) project to update the IP and add OFS support, but sadly these modules were never produced in quantity and unfortunately the QPI code for the FPGA remains Intel proprietary with no justification for general public availability.

If you have a flash clip or dediprog programmer with a compatible connector, you should be able to reload a stock Intel-provided grizzly pass flash image to use this system as a dual-socket Sandy or Ivy Bridge server.

grenskul

Nov 8, 2020
Not to shit on your parade but that fpga is mostly useless without a support contract basically. It's propriatery tech that takes intel non public code to use

Reactions: Magnet and Patrick